Re: LISTEN considered dangerous - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Flemming Frandsen
Subject Re: LISTEN considered dangerous
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> However, I'm unconvinced that the OP's complaint is valid.

I'm unconvinced that I've stated the problem clearly enough.

> I would still expect any
> reimplementation of notify messaging to honor the principle that a
> LISTEN doesn't take effect till you commit.

Naturally, the listen should not do anything at all when followed by a
rollback.

However if you start listening in a transaction then you should get all
events that have happened after the snapshot that the transaction
represents (the start of the transaction).

That means that events that happen after the start of the transaction
have to be returned in the next transaction.

--
  Regards Flemming Frandsen - http://dion.swamp.dk - YAPH