postgresql documentation

From
Randy Yates
Date:
Hi,

I've noticed that the PDF version of the manuals for 8.0 and 8.1
are lacking bookmarks and/or TOC and document reference links. If
this is generated via LaTeX, such links oculd easily be incorporated
via the hyperref package. It would make the document much easier to
navigate.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Midnight, on the water...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  I saw...  the ocean's daughter."

Re: postgresql documentation

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Randy Yates wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that the PDF version of the manuals for 8.0 and 8.1
> are lacking bookmarks and/or TOC and document reference links. If
> this is generated via LaTeX, such links oculd easily be incorporated
> via the hyperref package. It would make the document much easier to
> navigate.

The PDF version is docbook->tex->pdf .. if you can make bookmarks
have at it :)

Warning... docbook->tex with our documentation can take days.

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:

> Randy Yates wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed that the PDF version of the manuals for 8.0 and 8.1
>> are lacking bookmarks and/or TOC and document reference links. If
>> this is generated via LaTeX, such links oculd easily be incorporated
>> via the hyperref package. It would make the document much easier to
>> navigate.
>>

> The PDF version is docbook->tex->pdf .. if you can make bookmarks
> have at it :)
>
> Warning... docbook->tex with our documentation can take days.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Hi Joshua,

Well, it's tempting! Can you tell me how, using FC4, I can grab the
documentation build environment from the repository and download it to
my machine? I would love to be able to make a small contribution to
such a fantastic project.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Watching all the days go by...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  Who are you and who am I?"
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr

Re: postgresql documentation

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Feb 26, 2006, at 12:30 , Randy Yates wrote:

> Can you tell me how, using FC4, I can grab the documentation build
> environment from the repository and download it to my machine?

You can find instructions on how to build the documentation in the
documentation in Appendix G:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/docguide.html

I'm not familiar with Fedora, but hopefully you'll be able to use
rpms or even build the tools you need from source.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Date:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2006, at 12:30 , Randy Yates wrote:
>
>> Can you tell me how, using FC4, I can grab the documentation build
>> environment from the repository and download it to my machine?
>
> You can find instructions on how to build the documentation in the
> documentation in Appendix G:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/docguide.html
>
> I'm not familiar with Fedora, but hopefully you'll be able to use rpms
> or even build the tools you need from source.
Fedora has rpms for all the docbook stuff... Look for docbook-tools I
think it is.

Joshua D. Drake

> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm myrealbox com

>       match

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: postgresql documentation

From
Kris Jurka

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Randy Yates wrote:

> I've noticed that the PDF version of the manuals for 8.0 and 8.1
> are lacking bookmarks and/or TOC and document reference links. If
> this is generated via LaTeX, such links oculd easily be incorporated
> via the hyperref package. It would make the document much easier to
> navigate.

The 7.4 and 8.0 manuals are missing the bookmarks/TOC, but the 8.1 manual
does have them.

Kris Jurka

Date:
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> writes:

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Randy Yates wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that the PDF version of the manuals for 8.0 and 8.1
>> are lacking bookmarks and/or TOC and document reference links. If
>> this is generated via LaTeX, such links oculd easily be incorporated
>> via the hyperref package. It would make the document much easier to
>> navigate.
>
> The 7.4 and 8.0 manuals are missing the bookmarks/TOC, but the 8.1
> manual does have them.
>
> Kris Jurka

I stand corrected - I was only using the 8.0 documentation. MUCH better!
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  is say I'm sorry,