Date:
Isn't this article false in stating that Ingres is tring to build a high end open source database package. Isn't
postgresbased on Ingres if I'm correct in my history lesson. And postgres IS a high end open source database package.

John Zubac
Operations / DBA
Internetsecure Inc.
+1.905.469.6522 X252
jzubac@internetsecure.com
Gpg Fingerprint: A178 EC10 07D4 B242 8500 F817 D396 F05F D978 3D92

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Reid Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:05 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Oracle tried to buy MySQL

of interest perhaps...

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9593_22-6040197.html?tag=zdnn.alert

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL

From
Reid Thompson
Date:
John Zubac wrote:
> Isn't this article false in stating that Ingres is tring to build a high end open source database package. Isn't
postgresbased on Ingres if I'm correct in my history lesson. And postgres IS a high end open source database package.

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=39248

Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when jzubac@internetsecure.com ("John Zubac") would write:
> Isn't this article false in stating that Ingres is tring to build a
> high end open source database package. Isn't postgres based on
> Ingres if I'm correct in my history lesson. And postgres IS a high
> end open source database package.

No, that's not from an accurate history lesson.

Ingres *may* have had some tiny bit of code from University Ingres, in
the beginning, but developed considerably independently.

Postgres *may* have also had some tiny bit of code from University
Ingres, in the beginning, but, again, developed considerably
independently.

It is NOT reasonable to consider Postgres or PostgreSQL to be based on
Ingres.  The divergence took place *so* long ago...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html

Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 08:44, John Zubac wrote:
> Isn't this article false in stating that Ingres is tring to build a high end open source database package. Isn't
postgresbased on Ingres if I'm correct in my history lesson. And postgres IS a high end open source database package.

Not exactly.  Michael Stonebraker went back to the drawing board to
address the shortcoming of Ingres, and Post-Ingres -> Postgres was
born.  That code base went on to eventually become PostgreSQL.

While Ingres and Postgres(ql) are kissing cousins, and probably share or
shared a lot of similarities, they did not start from the same code
base.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Stonebraker