Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 08:44, John Zubac wrote:
> Isn't this article false in stating that Ingres is tring to build a high end open source database package. Isn't
postgresbased on Ingres if I'm correct in my history lesson. And postgres IS a high end open source database package.

Not exactly.  Michael Stonebraker went back to the drawing board to
address the shortcoming of Ingres, and Post-Ingres -> Postgres was
born.  That code base went on to eventually become PostgreSQL.

While Ingres and Postgres(ql) are kissing cousins, and probably share or
shared a lot of similarities, they did not start from the same code
base.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Stonebraker