PostgreSQL best practices?

From
Leonard Soetedjo
Date:
Hi,

Is there any documentation or wiki on PostgreSQL best practices?  For example:

- run vacuum regularly and how to judge the frequency of running vacuum
- when to use rule or trigger
- etc.

What I realized is that I joined PostgreSQL's mailing list and kept some of
the advise that I feel might come in handy in my email client.  However,
sometimes it is very tedious search through my archived emails and read
through all the emails in the thread.  You can call me lazy, but I think it's
good to have a set of best practices in using PostgreSQL, especially for the
beginners (unless of course I don't know that there is an existing ones).

Thanks :)

Regards,

Leonard Soetedjo

Re: PostgreSQL best practices?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
At present time, your best bet is to drop in on the IRC channel and ask
questions there. You'll normally get an immediate reply, even if it's
just a URL to look at.

Date:
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 14:09, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> At present time, your best bet is to drop in on the IRC channel and ask
> questions there. You'll normally get an immediate reply, even if it's
> just a URL to look at.

As a beginner, I feel not knowing where to start and what to ask in IRC or
mailing list (e.g. previously I didn't know that PostgreSQL has replication,
until I join the mailing list for some time).  And in the mailing list, I saw
that there are repetitive questions asking about replication advice such as
what are the current choices, difference, caveats etc.  I suppose that trend
is due to lack of beginner's documentation?  (the answer might be in
PostgreSQL documentation, but I do find it rather technical for a beginner
like me to understand).

Is there a FAQ or wiki that has a list of answer to beginners' questions?  It
might not be complete or specific answers, but at least it gives some
direction to the questioner.

I found Varlena.com's PostgreSQL General Bits to be quite good.  However the
archives are sorted by date and therefore more difficult to discover
articles/tips (regarding new PostgreSQL features, for example).

Regards,

Leonard Soetedjo

Re: PostgreSQL best practices?

Date:
Read the FAQ.

Date:
On Friday 03 February 2006 13:02, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Read the FAQ.

Thanks.  Somehow it slipped my mind to go to PostgreSQL's FAQ :P

Regards,

Leonard Soetedjo