autovacuum and temporary tables

From
Csaba Nagy
Date:
Hi all,

I have a postgres 8.0 installation, and I'm running autovacuum against
it. I have noticed that it processes temporary tables too, which is in
itself a bit curious, but the problem is that autovacuum might even
crash if a temporary table is suddenly gone while it tries to vacuum
it... that's what happened once here. I'm not sure what are the
necessary conditions to trigger this, it only happened once.

I searched in the release notes and googled a bit, but could not
(quickly) find what's the status of autovacuum vs. temporary tables in
8.1. I have seen that that was one of Tom's outstanding issues with
autovacuum to be included in the core, but was this resolved ?

Thanks,
Csaba.

Re: autovacuum and temporary tables

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
Exactly which version of 8.0.x?  There was a bug fixed around 8.0.5 or
so "Prevent core dump in contrib version of autovacuum when a table has
been dropped.  Per report from daveg (not his patch, though)."

The version of autovacuum in 8.1 is a fairly different beast than the
contrib version, and since it was integrated, I think all of Tom's
concerns were dealt with.  I highly recommend the 8.1 version over the
contrib version for many reason.

Matt

Csaba Nagy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a postgres 8.0 installation, and I'm running autovacuum against
> it. I have noticed that it processes temporary tables too, which is in
> itself a bit curious, but the problem is that autovacuum might even
> crash if a temporary table is suddenly gone while it tries to vacuum
> it... that's what happened once here. I'm not sure what are the
> necessary conditions to trigger this, it only happened once.
>
> I searched in the release notes and googled a bit, but could not
> (quickly) find what's the status of autovacuum vs. temporary tables in
> 8.1. I have seen that that was one of Tom's outstanding issues with
> autovacuum to be included in the core, but was this resolved ?
>
> Thanks,
> Csaba.

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: autovacuum and temporary tables

From
Csaba Nagy
Date:
It's version 8.0.almost3, meaning that I used the 8.0 stable CVS branch
just before 8.0.3 was released. I will upgrade this data base to 8.1.x
(the latest released version at the time of upgrade) soon, so if the 8.1
version has the temporary table thing fixed that would be very nice :-)

I also have an instance running 8.0.almost5, so if that has a fix for
the core dump, that would be also nice, cause that instance will not be
migrated to 8.1 very soon.

BTW, did you actually mean to use the 8.1 autovacuum with 8.0 data base
? I can't imagine how that would work :-)

Thanks,
Csaba.

Date:
Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com> writes:
> I have a postgres 8.0 installation, and I'm running autovacuum against
> it. I have noticed that it processes temporary tables too, which is in
> itself a bit curious, but the problem is that autovacuum might even
> crash if a temporary table is suddenly gone while it tries to vacuum
> it... that's what happened once here.

8.0.what?  I'm wondering if you are missing this 8.0.5 fix:

    * contrib/pg_autovacuum/pg_autovacuum.c (REL8_0_STABLE): Prevent
    core dump in contrib version of autovacuum when a table has been
    dropped.  Per report from daveg (not his patch, though).

            regards, tom lane

Date:
Csaba Nagy wrote:
> It's version 8.0.almost3, meaning that I used the 8.0 stable CVS branch
> just before 8.0.3 was released. I will upgrade this data base to 8.1.x
> (the latest released version at the time of upgrade) soon, so if the 8.1
> version has the temporary table thing fixed that would be very nice :-)
>
> I also have an instance running 8.0.almost5, so if that has a fix for
> the core dump, that would be also nice, cause that instance will not be
> migrated to 8.1 very soon.
>
> BTW, did you actually mean to use the 8.1 autovacuum with 8.0 data base
> ? I can't imagine how that would work :-)

No I didn't mean to use the 8.1 autovac with 8.0, that can't work.
Please upgrade your 8.0.x to at least 8.0.5 and see if that fixes the
problem.

Re: autovacuum and temporary tables

From
Csaba Nagy
Date:
OK, I have an 8.0.almost 5 installation which did not have any such
problems yet. The 8.0.~3 instance will soon be migrated to 8.1.latest,
so I will skip the 8.0.5 step, even if it only means install/restart/no
dump - after all I had a single crash in a few months of operation.

I take it granted that the crash situation on table drop is fixed. I
wonder if temporary tables are still added to the autovacuum list in 8.1
or not ?

Thanks,
Csaba.