new beginner to postgresql. Looking at it for a church

From
"Pamela"

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone has setup a point-of-sale system with postgresql.  Also, I will have to create a database for a church that requires lots of tables and subcategories.  They have 4 different locations and wish to be interconnected amongst each other, yet remain distinct and autonomous. They have lots different categories (women’s group, kid’s group, seminars, etc.) and funds within funds.  Any suggestions/examples of how someone could go about the data-modeling for this.  Also, was thinking of using .php and ruby to connect them via the net.  I will also, require setting up a general ledger and a full accounting system for them.  Inventory for books, cds.  I am looking at multiple sources for them including MySQL, Microsoft.Net (really, really don’t want to go there) and any other suggestions individuals may have.

Thanks and help is much appreciated.

Pamela

Re: new beginner to postgresql. Looking at it for a church

From
"Dann Corbit"

Maybe this helps:

http://www.sql-ledger.org/

[...]

Tony Caduto
Pamela wrote:
> Hello:
>

> I was wondering if anyone has setup a point-of-sale system with
> postgresql.  Also, I will have to create a database for a church that
> requires lots of tables and subcategories.  They have 4 different
> locations and wish to be interconnected amongst each other,

Postgresql can handle such a task, and should make things a little
easier for you if you use schemas to organize your tables etc.

You also have the option to use replication and dblink to do cross
database queries etc.

Don't know about the point of sale question though.

(You mentioned you where new to Postgres)

If you are a windows user be sure to check out PG Lightning Admin, it's
much easier to use than PG Admin III (my opinion, no flames please) and
it priced very inexpensively.

AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: new beginner to postgresql. Looking at it for a church

From
"Gregory S. Williamson"
Date:
It sounds as if reliability of the data is of some importance (usually is in financial applications), and personally, I
wouldn'ttrust mySQL with such data  -- the inability to have clean transactions, its willingness to insert data that
doesn'tmatch what the original input was with throwing an error, and a few other gotchas come to mind.

Of course, postgres may have a slightly higher learning curve -- mySQL in its native form can outperform postgres in
someapplications. But if the data is important I'd go with postgres.

Of course, this *is* a postgres list so such a feeling might not be reflective of everyone's results.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC