Re: new beginner to postgresql. Looking at it for a church - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: new beginner to postgresql. Looking at it for a church
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 27, 2005, at 7:31 PM, Pamela wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has setup a point-of-sale system with
> postgresql.  Also, I will have to create a database for a church
> that requires lots of tables and subcategories.  They have 4
> different locations and wish to be interconnected amongst each
> other, yet remain distinct and autonomous. They have lots different
> categories (women’s group, kid’s group, seminars, etc.) and funds
> within funds.  Any suggestions/examples of how someone could go
> about the data-modeling for this.  Also, was thinking of using .php
> and ruby to connect them via the net.  I will also, require setting
> up a general ledger and a full accounting system for them.
> Inventory for books, cds.  I am looking at multiple sources for
> them including MySQL, Microsoft.Net (really, really don’t want to
> go there) and any other suggestions individuals may have.

You might want to consider Drupal/PostgreSQL for the web interface
(Drupal is written in PHP). Each location could have their own "site"
from a single database in different schemas. Common tables for use
with all sites could be managed in another schema. You could create a
Drupal module to provide an interface to the accounting functions.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL