8.1 build on Solaris has LATIN9?

From
Jerry Sievers
Date:
Hi.  I am curious how/why the Pg 8.1.1 build on Solaris

    SunOS $hostname 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

chose LATIN9 charset as default.  Of course we can override this and
might if there's a good reason move to LATIN9 as default.

Afraid though of having anything go flakey  when we import the
original DBs with LATIN1 encoding.

I saw a message already during an import to the effect of "can't do
conversion"...

Thanks

Jerry Sievers   305 854-3001 (home)     WWW ECommerce Consultant
                305 321-1144 (mobile    http://www.JerrySievers.com/

Re: 8.1 build on Solaris has LATIN9?

Date:
Jerry Sievers <jerry@jerrysievers.com> writes:
> Hi.  I am curious how/why the Pg 8.1.1 build on Solaris
>     SunOS $hostname 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
> chose LATIN9 charset as default.

It probably deduced that from the locale setting (LANG or LC_ALL)
that initdb was run in.  Try "show lc_collate" if you don't remember
what that was.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 8.1 build on Solaris has LATIN9?

From
Jerry Sievers
Date:
Please forgive the empty reply preceeding this note.

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Jerry Sievers <jerry@jerrysievers.com> writes:
> > Hi.  I am curious how/why the Pg 8.1.1 build on Solaris
> >     SunOS $hostname 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
> > chose LATIN9 charset as default.
>
> It probably deduced that from the locale setting (LANG or LC_ALL)
> that initdb was run in.  Try "show lc_collate" if you don't remember
> what that was.

Thanks for this info.

Interesting, it was iso8859-15.

I inidb a new cluster and this time, I  get SQL_ASCII.  This is
without a hint of language or locale stuff in the ENV.

Guessing the postgres user's env has changed since the original
cluster creation.

Have a great weekend.

>             regards, tom lane

Jerry Sievers   305 854-3001 (home)     WWW ECommerce Consultant
                305 321-1144 (mobile    http://www.JerrySievers.com/

Re: 8.1 build on Solaris has LATIN9?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Jerry Sievers wrote:
> Afraid though of having anything go flakey  when we import the
> original DBs with LATIN1 encoding.

LATIN1 and LATIN9 are almost the same, so unless you have Euro
characters or some other corner cases in your data, you should just go
ahead with this.  Note that changing to SQL_ASCII, as you suggested in
a later mail, is likely to break much more.

--
Peter Eisentraut