was a initdb required from 8.1beta3 -> beta4?

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
Hi,
I messed up and updated my beta3 to 8.1 and didn't realize a initdb was
required.
Is there anyway I can get at the data?  It's on Gentoo and the
/var/lib/postgresql/data dir is still intact.

I tried to install beta4 but got the this error:

FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with CATALOG_VERSION_NO
200510051, but the server was compiled with CATALOG_VERSION_NO 200510211.
HINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.

Thanks,

Tony

Re: was a initdb required from 8.1beta3 -> beta4?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 16:03 -0600, Tony Caduto wrote:
> Hi,
> I messed up and updated my beta3 to 8.1 and didn't realize a initdb was
> required.
> Is there anyway I can get at the data?  It's on Gentoo and the
> /var/lib/postgresql/data dir is still intact.

Install beta3, backup, install 8.1 restore.

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: was a initdb required from 8.1beta3 -> beta4?

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote
>> .
>>

> Install beta3, backup, install 8.1 restore.

That's what I wanted to do but I can't seem to find a beta3 tar.gz
anywhere, the downloads only go to beta4 :-(

Date:
Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> writes:
>> Install beta3, backup, install 8.1 restore.

> That's what I wanted to do but I can't seem to find a beta3 tar.gz
> anywhere, the downloads only go to beta4 :-(

If you don't find a tarball, you could pull the beta3 tag from CVS.
See http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/cvs.html
The tag you want is REL8_1_0BETA3 ... too lazy to check the cvs
man page, but I think you would add "-r REL8_1_0BETA3" to the
normal cvs checkout command.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> If you don't find a tarball, you could pull the beta3 tag from CVS.
> See http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/cvs.html
> The tag you want is REL8_1_0BETA3 ... too lazy to check the cvs
> man page, but I think you would add "-r REL8_1_0BETA3" to the
> normal cvs checkout command.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom,
I will give that a go.