Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
"Wolfgang Keller"
Date:
> Sun's support for PostgreSQL will involve:

*snip*

> sponsorship of community members and projects;

Given the focus of Sun on fault-tolerance etc., one of THE projects
that they should definitely sponsor is
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 11:00 +0100, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> Given the focus of Sun on fault-tolerance etc., one of THE projects
> that they should definitely sponsor is
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

AFAIK pgreplication is no longer active. However, the Slony II project
is based on the same theoretical foundation (Kemme's Postgres-R work),
and is under active development. The website is http://www.slony2.org;
Gavin's talk is worth reading. We should have more information on the
details of the design available soon.

-Neil

Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Scott Ribe
Date:
>> sponsorship of community members and projects;

This would be good. But frankly, if they never sponsor nor contribute a
single line of code, the fact that *Sun* is now offering paid support for
Postgres is a *huge* boost. From now on, when a company wants to know
whether there are major firms supporting PG, we have a pat answer. (Assuming
of course that Sun sticks with Postgres and their attention doesn't wander
somewhere else. That is one problem with big companies--priorities sometimes
shift.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com

Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Ezra Taylor
Hello all:
               Just to let you all know, Sun is in trouble.  Linux is
taking alot of business away from Sun.  Can we trust Sun to do the
right thing.  Also, if Sun adds any code to PG, will it continue to be
opensource product.  As you can tell, I don't trust these big IT
companies, but they are a necessary evil.  How can we protect
ourselves from Sun if they plan to shaft us.

Ezra

On 11/18/05, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com> wrote:
> >> sponsorship of community members and projects;
>
> This would be good. But frankly, if they never sponsor nor contribute a
> single line of code, the fact that *Sun* is now offering paid support for
> Postgres is a *huge* boost. From now on, when a company wants to know
> whether there are major firms supporting PG, we have a pat answer. (Assuming
> of course that Sun sticks with Postgres and their attention doesn't wander
> somewhere else. That is one problem with big companies--priorities sometimes
> shift.)
>
> --
> Scott Ribe
> scott_ribe@killerbytes.com
> http://www.killerbytes.com/
> (303) 665-7007 voice

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:07:55AM -0500, Ezra Taylor wrote:
> Hello all:
>                Just to let you all know, Sun is in trouble.  Linux is
> taking alot of business away from Sun.  Can we trust Sun to do the
> right thing.  Also, if Sun adds any code to PG, will it continue to be
> opensource product.  As you can tell, I don't trust these big IT
> companies, but they are a necessary evil.  How can we protect
> ourselves from Sun if they plan to shaft us.

Umm, if the code they submit is under a BSD licence then it doesn't
matter what they do, we can use it for whatever purpose we like, with
or without their permission. And if they don't put it under the right
licence, we don't include it. I really don't see how they can hurt us
in any way on that front.

Patents are the danger, but no more from Sun than anybody else.

Have a nice day,

Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
Ezra Taylor
Date:
Thanks Martijn.

On 11/19/05, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:07:55AM -0500, Ezra Taylor wrote:
> > Hello all:
> >                Just to let you all know, Sun is in trouble.  Linux is
> > taking alot of business away from Sun.  Can we trust Sun to do the
> > right thing.  Also, if Sun adds any code to PG, will it continue to be
> > opensource product.  As you can tell, I don't trust these big IT
> > companies, but they are a necessary evil.  How can we protect
> > ourselves from Sun if they plan to shaft us.
>
> Umm, if the code they submit is under a BSD licence then it doesn't
> matter what they do, we can use it for whatever purpose we like, with
> or without their permission. And if they don't put it under the right
> licence, we don't include it. I really don't see how they can hurt us
> in any way on that front.
>
> Patents are the danger, but no more from Sun than anybody else.
>
> Have a nice day,
> --
> Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> > Patent. n. Genius is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. A patent is a
> > tool for doing 5% of the work and then sitting around waiting for someone
> > else to do the other 95% so you can sue them.

Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Ezra Taylor wrote:

> Hello all:
>               Just to let you all know, Sun is in trouble.  Linux is
> taking alot of business away from Sun.  Can we trust Sun to do the
> right thing.  Also, if Sun adds any code to PG, will it continue to be
> opensource product.  As you can tell, I don't trust these big IT
> companies, but they are a necessary evil.  How can we protect
> ourselves from Sun if they plan to shaft us.

How would they shaft us?  We only add code to *our* tree that is BSD
licenced, so any code Sun submits to us will have to be the same ... Sun
is "just another operating system company" that happens to now be
providing PostgreSQL as part of their offering ... there are several now
that are doing their own version of PostgreSQL, with 'closed source'
modifications to it ... if Sun decides to do this, they have that option

----