Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 11:07:55AM -0500, Ezra Taylor wrote:
> Hello all:
>                Just to let you all know, Sun is in trouble.  Linux is
> taking alot of business away from Sun.  Can we trust Sun to do the
> right thing.  Also, if Sun adds any code to PG, will it continue to be
> opensource product.  As you can tell, I don't trust these big IT
> companies, but they are a necessary evil.  How can we protect
> ourselves from Sun if they plan to shaft us.

Umm, if the code they submit is under a BSD licence then it doesn't
matter what they do, we can use it for whatever purpose we like, with
or without their permission. And if they don't put it under the right
licence, we don't include it. I really don't see how they can hurt us
in any way on that front.

Patents are the danger, but no more from Sun than anybody else.

Have a nice day,

Attachment