A good postgresql book

From
Dennis Veatch
Date:
I guess to much information can be an overload. Been surfin' to find a decent
book and don't really know which one to try. I have a um, not exactly vague
understanding of a database.

Meaning I can create the tables and crude/elementary queries that are just
about as basic as you can get. It's when ya get to the point of trying to get
all that info out the way I want is were I fall down. Ouch.

I guess something on SQL that is directed towards postgresql is what I'm
looking for. But ideally it would have good examples and explanations.
Actually I need pictures, hee hee.

Anyway I am open to some good recommendations.

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.

Re: A good postgresql book

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 10 November 2005 21:03, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> I guess to much information can be an overload. Been surfin' to find a
> decent book and don't really know which one to try. I have a um, not
> exactly vague understanding of a database.
>
> Meaning I can create the tables and crude/elementary queries that are just
> about as basic as you can get. It's when ya get to the point of trying to
> get all that info out the way I want is were I fall down. Ouch.
>
> I guess something on SQL that is directed towards postgresql is what I'm
> looking for. But ideally it would have good examples and explanations.
> Actually I need pictures, hee hee.
>
> Anyway I am open to some good recommendations.

I think I would recommend "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition"
from Apress, as it's aimed toward beginers. (full disclosure, I did the
technical review for the book, though I get no money if you buy it)

Otherwise the book "PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition" from Sams is recommended by a lot
of folks and I wouldn't expect it to disappoint.  I haven't read it (yet)
though I do have the first edition which was very good; it's material is
probably a bit more intermediate level.

Otherwise there is a list of PostgreSQL related books available at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/ which contains links to older books and
books online.  HTH.

--
Robert Treat

Re: A good postgresql book

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> schrieb:
> > Anyway I am open to some good recommendations.
>
> I think I would recommend "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition"
> from Apress, as it's aimed toward beginers. (full disclosure, I did the
> technical review for the book, though I get no money if you buy it)
>
> Otherwise the book "PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition" from Sams is recommended by a lot
> of folks and I wouldn't expect it to disappoint.  I haven't read it (yet)
> though I do have the first edition which was very good; it's material is
> probably a bit more intermediate level.

Based on which PG-version?

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)

Re: A good postgresql book

From
Dennis Veatch
Date:
On Friday 11 November 2005 11:36, Robert Treat wrote:
Big snip.

> I think I would recommend "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL, 2nd
> Edition" from Apress, as it's aimed toward beginers. (full disclosure, I
> did the technical review for the book, though I get no money if you buy it)
>
> Otherwise the book "PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition" from Sams is recommended by a
> lot of folks and I wouldn't expect it to disappoint.  I haven't read it
> (yet) though I do have the first edition which was very good; it's material
> is probably a bit more intermediate level.
>
> Otherwise there is a list of PostgreSQL related books available at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/ which contains links to older books
> and books online.  HTH.

Yeah I saw that list there but 2 quarters couldn't buy me a clue as to which
was most suitable for me.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.

Re: A good postgresql book

From
"Michael Schmidt"
Date:
The Sams book (Douglas & Douglas, PostgreSQL: The comprehensive guide to building, programming, and administering PostgreSQL databases, 2nd ed) is very good.  I wrote a little comment about it earlier in this group.  My only complaint is that there isn't any information on rules.  For basic database information, "Database Design for Mere Mortals, 2nd ed." is a good book that is commonly recommended.  For SQL, I find the chapters in the PostgreSQL manual to be pretty good.  For books, there is Wilton and Colby "Beginning SQL", SQL for Dummies, Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days and Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours.

Michael Schmidt

Re: A good postgresql book

From
Dennis Veatch
Date:
On Friday 11 November 2005 12:01, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> The Sams book (Douglas & Douglas, PostgreSQL: The comprehensive guide to
> building, programming, and administering PostgreSQL databases, 2nd ed) is
> very good.  I wrote a little comment about it earlier in this group.  My
> only complaint is that there isn't any information on rules.  For basic
> database information, "Database Design for Mere Mortals, 2nd ed." is a good
> book that is commonly recommended.  For SQL, I find the chapters in the
> PostgreSQL manual to be pretty good.  For books, there is Wilton and Colby
> "Beginning SQL", SQL for Dummies, Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days and Teach
> Yourself SQL in 24 Hours.
>
> Michael Schmidt

Lol, yes "mere mortal" is the operative concept here.

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.

Re: A good postgresql book

From
Robby Russell
Date:
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 11:36 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 21:03, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > I guess to much information can be an overload. Been surfin' to find a
> > decent book and don't really know which one to try. I have a um, not
> > exactly vague understanding of a database.
> >
> > Meaning I can create the tables and crude/elementary queries that are just
> > about as basic as you can get. It's when ya get to the point of trying to
> > get all that info out the way I want is were I fall down. Ouch.
> >
> > I guess something on SQL that is directed towards postgresql is what I'm
> > looking for. But ideally it would have good examples and explanations.
> > Actually I need pictures, hee hee.
> >
> > Anyway I am open to some good recommendations.
>
> I think I would recommend "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition"
> from Apress, as it's aimed toward beginers. (full disclosure, I did the
> technical review for the book, though I get no money if you buy it)

I would second this. It's a recent book and while it doesn't get too
deep into the realm of working with PostgreSQL (complex queries, custom
types, etc) it does provide a good overview of PostgreSQL and is
organized fairly well. It's recently become the first book that I reach
over to the bookshelf for to look up something when I don't feel like
searching on google/ps.org search.

-Robby

--
/******************************************************
* Robby Russell, Owner.Developer.Geek

Re: A good postgresql book

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 11:58:22 -0500,
  Dennis Veatch <dveatch@woh.rr.com> wrote:

> Yeah I saw that list there but 2 quarters couldn't buy me a clue as to which
> was most suitable for me.

Your other option is to read two books. One about Postgres and one about
relational databases. The online postgres documentation is very good at
describing how to use Postgres. You should be able to use that with any
book that covers relational databases at an appropiate level for you.

Re: A good postgresql book

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 12:01, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> schrieb:
> > > Anyway I am open to some good recommendations.
> >
> > I think I would recommend "Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition"
> > from Apress, as it's aimed toward beginers. (full disclosure, I did the
> > technical review for the book, though I get no money if you buy it)
> >
> > Otherwise the book "PostgreSQL, 2nd Edition" from Sams is recommended by a lot
> > of folks and I wouldn't expect it to disappoint.  I haven't read it (yet)
> > though I do have the first edition which was very good; it's material is
> > probably a bit more intermediate level.
>
> Based on which PG-version?

AFAIK it is was updated for 8.0, however the author does follow the
lists so I would expect that some 8.1 information is included where he
could get suitable info.

Robert Treat