Portable PostgreSQL

From
Samik Raychaudhuri
Hello Group:

Is there any 'portable' version of PostgreSQL for Windows? By 'portable'
I mean, I can just unzip files, run the initdb and then run the
postmaster and I get a temporary database server running on port 5432
and accepting connections?

Thanks.
-Samik

Re: Portable PostgreSQL

From
Samik Raychaudhuri
Date:
I found the binary-no-install for 8.0.3 sometime back. Will test it out.
Thanks for your help.
-Samik

On 10/2/2005 3:31 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>Hello Group:
>>
>>Is there any 'portable' version of PostgreSQL for Windows? By
>>'portable'
>>I mean, I can just unzip files, run the initdb and then run
>>the postmaster and I get a temporary database server running
>>on port 5432 and accepting connections?
>>

>Um, yes, this should go with any PostgreSQL version from 8.0. You can
>either install with the installer and skip service installation, or you
>can get the binaries-no-installer download.
>
>//Magnus

Re: Portable PostgreSQL

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Samik Raychaudhuri <samik@freeshell.org> schrieb:

> Hello Group:
>
> Is there any 'portable' version of PostgreSQL for Windows? By 'portable' I
> mean, I can just unzip files, run the initdb and then run the postmaster
> and I get a temporary database server running on port 5432 and accepting
> connections?

You can install PG on Windows and restore Backups. Independent of the
operating system.

Regards, Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)

Re: Portable PostgreSQL

From
"Magnus Hagander"
> Hello Group:
>
> Is there any 'portable' version of PostgreSQL for Windows? By
> 'portable'
> I mean, I can just unzip files, run the initdb and then run
> the postmaster and I get a temporary database server running
> on port 5432 and accepting connections?

Um, yes, this should go with any PostgreSQL version from 8.0. You can
either install with the installer and skip service installation, or you
can get the binaries-no-installer download.

//Magnus

Re: Portable PostgreSQL

From
Samik Raychaudhuri
Date:
Thanks for your reply Marc. Yes I am looking at Windows and I was
looking at pginstaller project before emailing. If my understanding is
correct, the project aims developing a Win installer for normal windows
program installation, with registry entries for future uninstallation
etc. What I wanted is a no-trace (or minimal trace), no-admin required
kind of installation (I won't be able to create a non-admin user in the
comp), which, when I am done, I can just delete the installation
directory and will be clear.

Is extracting necessary files from the msi installer a solution? Is
there a way to extract fles from msi?
Thanks.
-Samik

On 10/2/2005 1:00 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Any one of the binary packages should allow that ... if you are
> looking at Windows, check out the pginstaller project on
> http://www.pgfoundry.org ...
>
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:
>
>> Hello Group:
>>
>> Is there any 'portable' version of PostgreSQL for Windows? By
>> 'portable' I mean, I can just unzip files, run the initdb and then
>> run the postmaster and I get a temporary database server running on
>> port 5432 and accepting connections?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -Samik

>> TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Portable PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Date:
Samik Raychaudhuri <samik@freeshell.org> writes:
> ... What I wanted is a no-trace (or minimal trace), no-admin required
> kind of installation (I won't be able to create a non-admin user in the
> comp), which, when I am done, I can just delete the installation
> directory and will be clear.

Postgres isn't really designed to be the sort of "embedded" database
that you seem to be after.  You should look at other alternatives.
(Berkeley DB is one possibility that's written by friends of ours ;-))

In particular, you'll get zero sympathy here for any request to let the
database run as an admin-level user.  The IPC communication structure we
use does not allow restricting requests to just one program, and hence
ignoring security issues is simply not a sane thing to do.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Portable PostgreSQL

From
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Date:
Firebird is a nice, small, ACID compliant database that embeds well.

 firebird.sourceforge.net

Rick

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 10/03/2005 12:12:44 AM:

> Samik Raychaudhuri <samik@freeshell.org> writes:
> > ... What I wanted is a no-trace (or minimal trace), no-admin required
> > kind of installation (I won't be able to create a non-admin user in the

> > comp), which, when I am done, I can just delete the installation
> > directory and will be clear.
>
> Postgres isn't really designed to be the sort of "embedded" database
> that you seem to be after.  You should look at other alternatives.
> (Berkeley DB is one possibility that's written by friends of ours ;-))
>
> In particular, you'll get zero sympathy here for any request to let the
> database run as an admin-level user.  The IPC communication structure we
> use does not allow restricting requests to just one program, and hence
> ignoring security issues is simply not a sane thing to do.
>
>          regards, tom lane

>        match

Re: Portable PostgreSQL

From
Samik Raychaudhuri
Date:
On 10/3/2005 12:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>Samik Raychaudhuri <samik@freeshell.org> writes:
>

>>... What I wanted is a no-trace (or minimal trace), no-admin required
>>kind of installation (I won't be able to create a non-admin user in the
>>comp), which, when I am done, I can just delete the installation
>>directory and will be clear.
>>

>Postgres isn't really designed to be the sort of "embedded" database
>that you seem to be after.  You should look at other alternatives.
>(Berkeley DB is one possibility that's written by friends of ours ;-))
>
>In particular, you'll get zero sympathy here for any request to let the
>database run as an admin-level user.  The IPC communication structure we
>use does not allow restricting requests to just one program, and hence
>ignoring security issues is simply not a sane thing to do.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Thanks for replying Tom. I am not planning to run the DB as admin-level,
just as a normal user. I am actually ready to compromise some security
(it will run inside a local n/w, won't be exposed to internet, there are
firewall inplace etc.) against the learning curve for a new database.
Don't want to leave my favorite db I guess :-)