Don't understand transaction error

From
"Jonathan Villa"
Date:
I'm getting the following error when attempting to use my application:

ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block

I have no clue... the only idea I have is to somehow release any
transaction locks, but I don't how to list, or even if possible, to list
current locks.  If there is a way to do this, perhaps I can release it.
But I don't know how to release it either

*shrug*

Re: Don't understand transaction error

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 10:36, Jonathan Villa wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when attempting to use my application:
>
> ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
> transaction block
>
> I have no clue... the only idea I have is to somehow release any
> transaction locks, but I don't how to list, or even if possible, to list
> current locks.  If there is a way to do this, perhaps I can release it.
> But I don't know how to release it either

What you're seeing is the standard way postgresql handles transactins.
Any error in a transaction, and all of it is rolled back.  Since the
database knows it's going to roll back everything, when you tell it to
do something without ending the transaction, it emits this error,
telling you that whatever your asking it to do ain't gonna get done.

begin starts a transaction, rollback ends one and rolls back all
changes, commit commits the changes IF THERE WERE NO ERRORS (note that
savepoints allow you to work around this limitation).

There's a chapter on this behavior in the manual, under something to do
with transactions...

Re: Don't understand transaction error

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Jonathan Villa wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when attempting to use my application:
>
> ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
> transaction block
>
> I have no clue...

An error has occurred on a previous command. As a result, this
transaction is aborted and you should issue ROLLBACK to cancel it.

There should be another error previously that causes this.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Don't understand transaction error

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 10:36:07AM -0500, Jonathan Villa wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when attempting to use my application:
>
> ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
> transaction block

Some earlier command failed so the entire transaction (or subtransaction)
has failed and no further commands will be allowed; you'll have to
issue a ROLLBACK and then start a new transaction (or issue ROLLBACK
TO SAVEPOINT if you're using savepoints, which are available in 8.0
and later).  If you're doing adequate error checking then you should
be able to find out which command failed and why.

--
Michael Fuhr