about pg_dump with --blobs

From
Howard Kao
Date:
Hi all,

We have a big database, around 1.2GB, and want to back it up.  We used
pg_dump with --blobs for large objects.  However, the process cannot
be completed and threw an error.  Can anyone please elaborate on the
--blobs, or backing up for large databases?  Judging from the
description of -b/--blobs we suspect that it has something to do with
some fields being text.  If anyone has some insight on this help would
be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: about pg_dump with --blobs

From
Howard Kao
Date:
Sorry, forgot the error message.
Basically we tried to restore a db and the following error message occurred:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  invalid
memory alloc request size 1836016426

On 8/11/05, Howard Kao <fatearthling@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a big database, around 1.2GB, and want to back it up.  We used
> pg_dump with --blobs for large objects.  However, the process cannot
> be completed and threw an error.  Can anyone please elaborate on the
> --blobs, or backing up for large databases?  Judging from the
> description of -b/--blobs we suspect that it has something to do with
> some fields being text.  If anyone has some insight on this help would
> be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: about pg_dump with --blobs

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Howard Kao wrote:
> Sorry, forgot the error message.
> Basically we tried to restore a db and the following error message occurred:
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  invalid
> memory alloc request size 1836016426

I take it you don't have an object 1.8GBs in size?

Do you know what it was dumping when that happened (if not try adding
--verbose).

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: about pg_dump with --blobs

Date:
Howard Kao <fatearthling@gmail.com> writes:
> Basically we tried to restore a db and the following error message occurred:
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  invalid
> memory alloc request size 1836016426

I'm wondering about corruption of the dump file.  I don't think either
-Fc or -Ft dump format can survive being run through a Unix/Windows
newline conversion, for example.  But as Richard noted, more detail
would help.

            regards, tom lane