Instalation batch file

From
Zlatko Matić
Date:
Hello.

I would like to install database schema on a server using  files with dumped schema and globals (produced by dumpall), that are placed on CD. The installation script (batch file) that restores these two files is also placed on the same CD, (let's say E:) in the same folder.

cd C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin
psql -f E:\MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
psql -f E:\MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
vacuumdb -d MYBASE -U zmatic
But, what if CD is F: or some other unit ?
How could I change this batch file (Windows XP) to be able to recognize what is the actual path of the folder that containes these three files ?

Thanks in advance,

Zlatko

Re: Instalation batch file

From
Glenn Davy
Date:
On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 23:29 +0200, Zlatko Matić wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I would like to install database schema on a server using  files with
> dumped schema and globals (produced by dumpall), that are placed on
> CD. The installation script (batch file) that restores these two files
> is also placed on the same CD, (let's say E:) in the same folder.
>
> cd C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin
> psql -f E:\MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
> psql -f E:\MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
> vacuumdb -d MYBASE -U zmatic
>
> But, what if CD is F: or some other unit ?
> How could I change this batch file (Windows XP) to be able to
> recognize what is the actual path of the folder that containes these
> three files ?

Im not sure how to determine the path to the media (esp if more than one
cd/dvd), but you could take a couple of different approaches:
1)that is to run the script from the cd drive and build the path to pg's
bin with %HOMEDRIVE%. Type 'SET' to see what other shell variables
there are
2) Run the script from anywhere and take %1 type command line paramaters
to ask location of either bin and/or cd/dvd

Been years since I've had the misfortune to have to use windows shell
scipts, but there are prob many other approachs - best to do a little
research into windows shell scripting and determine best for your
scenario.

Glenn

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Zlatko

Re: Instalation batch file

From
SCassidy@overlandstorage.com
Date:
Hi,

If the psql program is always going to be in C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin, couldn't you eliminate the "cd", and just specify
the full path (if psql is not in the current PATH) as needed?  Or, add it
to the PATH:    PATH %path%;C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin

If you running the .bat file from the CD, you won't have to know the drive
letter.

E.g.:

psql -f MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
psql -f MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
vacuumdb -d MYBASE -U zmatic

You could add the path for psql if you need to.  E.g.:

@ECHO off

if exist test_path.pl GOTO foundit
echo "placing psql in path"
PATH %path%;C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin

:foundit
echo "now doing the psql"

 ...   then continue with your psql commands.

Hope this helps.

Susan

                           Zlatko Matić

                      <zlatko.matic1@sb.t-com        To:       <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>

                      .hr>                           cc:

                           Sent by:                  Subject:  [GENERAL] Instalation batch file

                                                      |-------------------|

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos         | [ ] Expand Groups |

                      tgresql.org                     |-------------------|

                           08/03/2005 02:29

                      PM

Hello.

I would like to install database schema on a server using  files with
dumped schema and globals (produced by dumpall), that are placed on CD. The
installation script (batch file) that restores these two files is also
placed on the same CD, (let's say E:) in the same folder.

cd C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin
psql -f E:\MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
psql -f E:\MYBASE_SHEMA.dumpall template1 -U zmatic
vacuumdb -d MYBASE -U zmatic
But, what if CD is F: or some other unit ?
How could I change this batch file (Windows XP) to be able to recognize
what is the actual path of the folder that containes these three files ?

Thanks in advance,

Zlatko

See our award-winning line of tape and disk-based
backup & recovery solutions at http://www.overlandstorage.com

Re: Instalation batch file

From
Zlatko Matić
Date:
Thank you for answer. It seems that %HOMEDRIVE% is just enough to solve this
problem.
Thanks.

               http://archives.postgresql.org