ORDER BY options (how to order data as AAA, aaa, BBB, bbb, ... ZZZ, zzz)

From
Julian Legeny
Date:
Hello,

   I have following problem:

I have table MY_TABLE with following records:

   NAME
-----------
   ccc
   CCC
   AAA
   aaa
   bbb
   BBB

When I use default select that sort all data by NAME:

        SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE ORDER BY NAME;

result is following:

   NAME
-----------
   AAA
   BBB
   CCC
   aaa
   bbb
   ccc

But I would like to sort all data as following:

   NAME
-----------
   AAA
   aaa
   BBB
   bbb
   CCC
   ccc

How can I write sql command (or set up ORDER BY options) for selecting that?

   Thank you in advance for answer,
   best regards,

   Julian Legeny

mailto:julo@opensubsystems.org

Re: ORDER BY options (how to order data as AAA, aaa, BBB, bbb, ... ZZZ, zzz)

From
"Dinesh Pandey"

SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE ORDER BY LOWER(NAME);

Thanks

Dinesh Pandey

[...]

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

On Tue, 10 May 2005 07:41 pm, Julian Legeny wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I have following problem:

> But I would like to sort all data as following:
>
>    NAME
> -----------
>    AAA
>    aaa
>    BBB
>    bbb
>    CCC
>    ccc
>

> How can I write sql command (or set up ORDER BY options) for selecting that?

SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE ORDER BY lower(NAME), NAME

The second NAME is to ensure that AAA comes before aaa, otherwise the order is undetermined.

if you order by upper(name) then it will mix them all together, so you won't
have capital before lowercase, but it will put all the lowercase a before
the uppercase b

"Julian Legeny" <julo@opensubsystems.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
>    I have following problem:
>
> I have table MY_TABLE with following records:
>
>    NAME
> -----------
>    ccc
>    CCC
>    AAA
>    aaa
>    bbb
>    BBB
>
> When I use default select that sort all data by NAME:
>
>         SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE ORDER BY NAME;
>
> result is following:
>
>    NAME
> -----------
>    AAA
>    BBB
>    CCC
>    aaa
>    bbb
>    ccc
>

> But I would like to sort all data as following:
>
>    NAME
> -----------
>    AAA
>    aaa
>    BBB
>    bbb
>    CCC
>    ccc
>

> How can I write sql command (or set up ORDER BY options) for selecting
that?

>    Thank you in advance for answer,
>    best regards,
>
>    Julian Legeny
>
> mailto:julo@opensubsystems.org

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: ORDER BY options (how to order data as AAA, aaa,

From
Ragnar Hafstað
Date:
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:41 +0200, Julian Legeny wrote:

> But I would like to sort all data as following:
>
>    NAME
> -----------
>    AAA
>    aaa
>    BBB
>    bbb
>    CCC
>    ccc

> How can I write sql command (or set up ORDER BY options) for selecting that?

how about ORDER BY lower(NAME),NAME ?

gnari

Hello,

   that's what I was looking for.