GUITools update

From
Brennan Stewart
Date:
I am starting work on a comparison of all the Postgresql design &
administration tools.

The problem:
Many Postgresql-compatible administration/design tools exist, but we
lack a full comparison and review of each.  This impedes migration and
slows down the development process (time spent researching tools instead
of doing DB work).  Devs & hackers would have an easier time if they
could read over a guide, and know from the start which tool will meet
their own requirements.

So, I want to remedy that problem.

Before I analyze these tools, I would appreciate input from the
community on what sort of information is important for Postgresql users
to know about these design&administration tools.
Sample list (just a few from my own)
operating system:
OSS
SQL Syntax checking
price
User permissions management
visual relationship modeling

I prepared a list of things myself, but was worried about incompleteness.

If you send back an email with the criteria that you find important, it
would be much appreciated.

regards,

Brennan
age on #postgresql irc.freenode.net

Re: GUITools update

From
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Date:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 04:26:56AM -0400,
 Brennan Stewart <brennan@ideahamster.org> wrote
 a message of 37 lines which said:

> Sample list (just a few from my own)

* Freeness of the code (which is much more important than price:
switching tools is *hard* because of the lack of standards, so a small
price at the beginning can lock you for a long time).

* Ability to work nicely with people who edit text files: the tool
should be able to *read* text files and to write them properly
(i.e. without deleting the comments or introducing gratuitous
presentation changes, which would confuse the version control system).

Re: GUITools update

From
Alvar Freude
Date:
Hi,

-- Brennan Stewart <brennan@ideahamster.org> wrote:

> Before I analyze these tools, I would appreciate input from the community
> on what sort of information is important for Postgresql users to know about
> these design&administration tools. Sample list (just a few from my own)

> operating system:

These are my top questions:

* Is it platform independent? And runs (for me) at least on
  Mac OS X and FreeBSD?

* Has it a native GUI on all systems?

* works with which Postgresql versions?

* Is it simple for simple tasks: e.g. viewing a table and
  editing rows?

* Is it Free Software? In the sense of liberty would be good.

* Can it handle slow remote connections and SSL?

* Is there a visual representation of the planer/explain?

* Is there a visual representation of statistics?

* Can I enter SQL-statements? Is there a keyboard controllable history?

Ciao
  Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude -- http://alvar.a-blast.org/
http://odem.org/

Attachment

Re: GUITools update

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Apr 29, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> * Freeness of the code (which is much more important than price:
> switching tools is *hard* because of the lack of standards, so a small
> price at the beginning can lock you for a long time).

It seems like this is a minimal issue with most PostgreSQL tools since
they are designed to work with a representation of the database.
Generally, SQL is the representation so there is no lock in.

It might be useful to distinguish "freeness of code" (which does have
other advantages) from "proprietary binary data storage". Offhand I
can't think of any GUI tool which stores important data in a
proprietary format.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: GUITools update

From
Ian Harding
Date:
I haven't tried many of them, but I didn't like how they scribbled on
my database.  Hopefully now they are creating/using their own either
database or at least schema for all their data.