out of memory

From
Hugues-Vincent Grislin
Date:
Hello,

I have a problem when i try to execute my request :

ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 336.

(I had execute the " VACCUM" before)
It's a SELECT which contains several jointures (simple ones, 1-1).
With 5 jointures there is no problem but with 6, i have this error.

config :
Postgres 7.4.7
Linux Redhat 7.0
RAM : 256 Mo
swap : 256 Mo

I found some threads about that but no answer.
Thanks,

Hugues-Vincent Grislin.

Re: out of memory

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 09:02, Hugues-Vincent Grislin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem when i try to execute my request :
>
> ERROR:  out of memory
> DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 336.
>
> (I had execute the " VACCUM" before)
> It's a SELECT which contains several jointures (simple ones, 1-1).
> With 5 jointures there is no problem but with 6, i have this error.
>
> config :
> Postgres 7.4.7
> Linux Redhat 7.0
> RAM : 256 Mo
> swap : 256 Mo
>
> I found some threads about that but no answer.
> Thanks,

Have you analyzed the database?  Try that first.  If you still get an
out of memory error, try setting enable_hashagg off (set
enable_hashagg=false;) and then running the same query again and see if
it then works.  If it does, post the result of

explain analyze YOURQUERYHERE

If it doesn't post the output of a plain explain, no analyze.

Re: out of memory

From
"surabhi.ahuja"
Date:
hi
i use postgres 8.0.0
i have a test program in c++, which tries to insert rows into the tables of my database.

is there any way that i can check that there are no memory leaks etc happening.

i ran valgrind on my test program that is not showing any mem leak,
but are ther any other tools/ etc that i can use to double verufy it.

Thanks,
regards
Surabhi

Re: out of memory

From
Antonis Antoniou
Date:
surabhi.ahuja wrote:

>hi
>i use postgres 8.0.0
>i have a test program in c++, which tries to insert rows into the tables of my database.
>
>is there any way that i can check that there are no memory leaks etc happening.
>
>i ran valgrind on my test program that is not showing any mem leak,
>but are ther any other tools/ etc that i can use to double verufy it.
>
>Thanks,
>regards
>Surabhi

May be you can try using -> http://www.andreasen.org/LeakTracer/