pgadminIII - creating servers

From
Typing80wpm@aol.com
Date:
I just now tried creating a second server with pgadminIII.    I am confused as to why one would have more than one server.  There does not seem to be any way to "switch" from one server to another, or to log into one particular server (and not the other), or to create tables specifically for one server. I find the concept rather confusing.  I understand that if I limit myself to one server, then I may define different database, and log to a particular database, and see only the tables in that database.  Any explanation regarding more than one server will be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: pgadminIII - creating servers

From
Sean Davis
Date:
On Apr 25, 2005, at 10:54 PM, Typing80wpm@aol.com wrote:

> I just now tried creating a second server with pgadminIII.    I am
> confused as to why one would have more than one server.  There does
> not seem to be any way to "switch" from one server to another, or to
> log into one particular server (and not the other), or to create
> tables specifically for one server. I find the concept rather
> confusing.  I understand that if I limit myself to one server, then I
> may define different database, and log to a particular database, and
> see only the tables in that database.  Any explanation regarding more
> than one server will be appreciated. Thanks.

You can't just "create" a second server with pgadminIII.  The server
needs to exist already.  PgadminIII just connects to existing
server(s).  As for why have more than one server, many folks have, for
example, a development server and a production server.  The process of
creating the server is installing postgres again, not simply "adding a
server" in pgadminIII.  "Adding a server" in pgadminIII just means
creating a set of connection parameters to another postgresql server.

As for how to create new objects in pgadminIII, it is probably worth
reading some of the help for pgadminIII, but I don't use it enough to
be sure that all your answers are available in the manual.

Sean