Re: pgadminIII - creating servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: pgadminIII - creating servers
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 25, 2005, at 10:54 PM, Typing80wpm@aol.com wrote:

> I just now tried creating a second server with pgadminIII.    I am
> confused as to why one would have more than one server.  There does
> not seem to be any way to "switch" from one server to another, or to
> log into one particular server (and not the other), or to create
> tables specifically for one server. I find the concept rather
> confusing.  I understand that if I limit myself to one server, then I
> may define different database, and log to a particular database, and
> see only the tables in that database.  Any explanation regarding more
> than one server will be appreciated. Thanks.

You can't just "create" a second server with pgadminIII.  The server
needs to exist already.  PgadminIII just connects to existing
server(s).  As for why have more than one server, many folks have, for
example, a development server and a production server.  The process of
creating the server is installing postgres again, not simply "adding a
server" in pgadminIII.  "Adding a server" in pgadminIII just means
creating a set of connection parameters to another postgresql server.

As for how to create new objects in pgadminIII, it is probably worth
reading some of the help for pgadminIII, but I don't use it enough to
be sure that all your answers are available in the manual.

Sean