Suggestions

From
syed magthum
Date:
Hi
  We are likely to build a desktop application in
VB.Net and we are in a hunt to go for a database.We
need a free version basically if it dosnt meets our
demand then we can go for the developer versions.

 For our application it may run as client server
application may be of 10 concurrent users,with 40
tables of 10000 rows for 2 r 3 tables and others
mostly of 1000 rows.

 We heard about the MSDE runtime version which is
free..

 How far this PostgreSql suits us comparing to the
MSDE or MySql which is also free..

Kindly give me the status..

Regards
Syed

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Suggestions

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
syed magthum wrote:
> Hi
>   We are likely to build a desktop application in
> VB.Net and we are in a hunt to go for a database.We
> need a free version basically if it dosnt meets our
> demand then we can go for the developer versions.
>

>  For our application it may run as client server
> application may be of 10 concurrent users,with 40
> tables of 10000 rows for 2 r 3 tables and others
> mostly of 1000 rows.

That's easily do-able with PostgreSQL. Or tables ten or a hundred times
larger.

There are ODBC and .Net client libraries - details and download at
   http://www.postgresql.org/download/

PostgreSQL is licenced under the BSD licence which lets you use, modify
and distribute the system pretty much without restriction.
   http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

It is of course free, runs on most Unix variants (including MacOS-X) and
  with version 8, Windows 2000/XP.

The only thing is, it isn't suitable as an embedded database - it needs
to be its own server process. If that's acceptable to you, then I think
you'll like PostgreSQL.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Suggestions

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
The native win32 version of Postgres will work for you without issues and be superior to the other choices you
mentioned.
The MSDE runtime version of MS SQL server is crippled and only accepts a few conncurrent connections.
Mysql is fast, but lacks things you will probably need such as triggers, stored procedures etc etc
Also Mysql is technically not free unless you use it for non commercial apps.

You didn't mention if you are planning on using VB classic or VB.net?
With VB.net you can use the native .net data provider which works well, with classic VB you will have to use ODBC or
theADO drivers,
last time I checked the PG ado driver was pretty weak.

Also if this is a new project, I might suggest you use Borland Delphi instead of VB.
You get the same ease of use but you gain the incredible database support it provides and you can use
the native Zeos components to access Postgresql  http://www.zeoslib.net   nothing like this exists for the VB world.
Notto mention you get single exe files
that do not require a runtime.
There are also very nice commercial components available from www.microolap.com

You can dowload the native win32 version of Postgres 8.x here:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?file=win32%2Fpostgresql-8.0.2.zip

Good luck,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

syed magthum wrote:
> Hi
>   We are likely to build a desktop application in
> VB.Net and we are in a hunt to go for a database.We
> need a free version basically if it dosnt meets our
> demand then we can go for the developer versions.

Re: Suggestions

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 08:42, syed magthum wrote:
> Hi
>   We are likely to build a desktop application in
> VB.Net and we are in a hunt to go for a database.We
> need a free version basically if it dosnt meets our
> demand then we can go for the developer versions.
>

>  For our application it may run as client server
> application may be of 10 concurrent users,with 40
> tables of 10000 rows for 2 r 3 tables and others
> mostly of 1000 rows.
>
>  We heard about the MSDE runtime version which is
> free..
>
>  How far this PostgreSql suits us comparing to the
> MSDE or MySql which is also free..

PostgreSQL could work fine, make sure you have your application setup to
vacuum the database every so often.

Firebird is also a good choice for what you're doing, and may be easier
to install along side your own software.

If you're doing very simple SQL work, then SQLLite might be a good
choice.