Re: Suggestions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: Suggestions
Date
List pgsql-general
The native win32 version of Postgres will work for you without issues and be superior to the other choices you
mentioned.
The MSDE runtime version of MS SQL server is crippled and only accepts a few conncurrent connections.
Mysql is fast, but lacks things you will probably need such as triggers, stored procedures etc etc
Also Mysql is technically not free unless you use it for non commercial apps.

You didn't mention if you are planning on using VB classic or VB.net?
With VB.net you can use the native .net data provider which works well, with classic VB you will have to use ODBC or
theADO drivers,
last time I checked the PG ado driver was pretty weak.

Also if this is a new project, I might suggest you use Borland Delphi instead of VB.
You get the same ease of use but you gain the incredible database support it provides and you can use
the native Zeos components to access Postgresql  http://www.zeoslib.net   nothing like this exists for the VB world.
Notto mention you get single exe files
that do not require a runtime.
There are also very nice commercial components available from www.microolap.com

You can dowload the native win32 version of Postgres 8.x here:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?file=win32%2Fpostgresql-8.0.2.zip

Good luck,

--
Tony Caduto