Linux Filesystem for PG

From
"Joseph M. Day"
Date:
Can anyone recemmend a filesystem to use for Postgres. I currently have one table that has 80 mil rows, and will take roughly 8GB of space without indexing. Obviously EXT3 will die for a file size this large. Any suggestions with be helpful.

Thanks,

Joe,

Joseph M. Day
Global Innovative Solutions

Re: Linux Filesystem for PG

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:29:13AM -0600, Joseph M. Day wrote:

> Can anyone recemmend a filesystem to use for Postgres. I currently have
> one table that has 80 mil rows, and will take roughly 8GB of space
> without indexing. Obviously EXT3 will die for a file size this large.

From the "Database Physical Storage" chapter in the 8.0 documentation:

  When a table or index exceeds 1Gb, it is divided into gigabyte-sized
  segments.  The first segment's file name is the same as the
  filenode; subsequent segments are named filenode.1, filenode.2,
  etc.  This arrangement avoids problems on platforms that have
  file size limitations.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/storage.html

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Linux Filesystem for PG

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:55:52AM -0600, Joseph M. Day wrote:
> > From the "Database Physical Storage" chapter in the 8.0 documentation:
> >
> >  When a table or index exceeds 1Gb, it is divided into gigabyte-sized
> >  segments.  The first segment's file name is the same as the
> >  filenode; subsequent segments are named filenode.1, filenode.2,
> >  etc.  This arrangement avoids problems on platforms that have
> >  file size limitations.
>
> Is this a recent change? I have an old system loaded with Redhat 8.0 and
> PG v7.2. Unless my memory fails me, it died trying to load the data into
> the table.

The 7.2 source code appears to have this logic; I don't know if
there are any problems with it.  "It died" doesn't mean much --
a load could have failed for a number of reasons, so without
the error message it's impossible to know what happened.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

problem with set autocommit to off

From
Rajarshi Mukherjee
Date:
Hello all,
i am not being able to set the default autocommit feature of PG to off.
i am using PG 8.0 Windows version and the following command :
SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF
throwing an error:
ERROR:  SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF is no longer supported

Please suggest an alternative.

Re: Linux Filesystem for PG

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
After a long battle with technology, jday@gisolutions.us ("Joseph M. Day"), an earthling, wrote:
> Can anyone recemmend a filesystem to use for Postgres. I currently
> have one table that has 80 mil rows, and will take roughly 8GB of
> space without indexing. Obviously EXT3 will die for a file size this
> large. Any suggestions with be helpful.

Actually, it is common for "obvious" facts to be entirely incorrect.

-> ext3 wouldn't "die" with a file of that size; it supports files up
   to about 2TB in size, and 8GB shouldn't be an "uncomfortable" size

-> PostgreSQL normally switches to a new file at 1GB intervals, so
   that no file is ever larger than 1GB in size

That's not to say that ext3 would be my "favorite" for the purpose;
while I am not entirely decided as to the relative merits of JFS and
XFS, I'd generally prefer them to ext3.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html

Re: problem with set autocommit to off

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 06:09:22PM +0530, Rajarshi Mukherjee wrote:

> i am not being able to set the default autocommit feature of PG to off.
> i am using PG 8.0 Windows version and the following command :
> SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF
> throwing an error:
> ERROR:  SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF is no longer supported

Server-side autocommit was removed in 7.4 so now it's just a
client-side behavior.  In psql you can use "\set AUTOCOMMIT off";
otherwise see the documentation for your client interface.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Linux Filesystem for PG

From
Thomas F.O'Connell
Date:
 From what I have gathered on the performance list, JFS seemed to be the
best overall choice, but I'd say check the archives of
pgsql-performance because so many of your I/O needs depends on what
you're going to be doing with your database.

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect