Re: Linux Filesystem for PG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Linux Filesystem for PG
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:55:52AM -0600, Joseph M. Day wrote:
> > From the "Database Physical Storage" chapter in the 8.0 documentation:
> >
> >  When a table or index exceeds 1Gb, it is divided into gigabyte-sized
> >  segments.  The first segment's file name is the same as the
> >  filenode; subsequent segments are named filenode.1, filenode.2,
> >  etc.  This arrangement avoids problems on platforms that have
> >  file size limitations.
>
> Is this a recent change? I have an old system loaded with Redhat 8.0 and
> PG v7.2. Unless my memory fails me, it died trying to load the data into
> the table.

The 7.2 source code appears to have this logic; I don't know if
there are any problems with it.  "It died" doesn't mean much --
a load could have failed for a number of reasons, so without
the error message it's impossible to know what happened.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/