Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
S Ram
Date:
Hello,

PostgreSQL is distributed as .RPM files. How do I
install this in Debian?

Thanks

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
jcradock@me3.com
Date:
On Debian install PostgreSQL via APT. If you have APT installed:

1. Change to root.
2. Type apt-update.
3. Type apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client

#2 updates your APT package list to the lastest-and-greatest. #3 installed
the server and client applications.

I'd read up on APT at the Debian home page:

http://www.debian.org

Regards,

Jim

-----
James Cradock, jcradock@me3.com

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
Lonni J Friedman
Date:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:39:46 +0800 (CST), S Ram <ramwebreg@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> PostgreSQL is distributed as .RPM files. How do I
> install this in Debian?

apt-get i'd imagine

or build from source.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
Grant McLean
Date:
On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 08:39 +0800, S Ram wrote:
> Hello,
>
> PostgreSQL is distributed as .RPM files. How do I
> install this in Debian?

As others have said, apt-get will install PostgreSQL from the standard
Debian repositories.  However, if you're running Debian stable, you
might want to use a more recent version of PostgreSQL than the 7.2.1.

Backports.org has 7.4.7 here:

http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/stable/postgresql/binary-i386/

So you'd need to put something like this in your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ stable postgresql

Cheers
Grant

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
Michael Ben-Nes
Date:
I recomend you to compile PG from source so you can use the new 8.0.1

Cheers

--
--------------------------
Canaan Surfing Ltd.

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> I recomend you to compile PG from source so you can use the new 8.0.1

PostgreSQL 8.0.1 is available in the Debian experimental suite, package
name "postgresql-8.0".

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
Michael Ben-Nes
Yep :)

but that Expermental

--
--------------------------
Canaan Surfing Ltd.
Internet Service Providers
Ben-Nes Michael - Manager
Tel: 972-4-6991122
Cel: 972-52-8555757
Fax: 972-4-6990098
http://www.canaan.net.il
--------------------------

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
ericobr@click21.com.br (erico)
Date:
Dear sirs,,

I hope you all can help me. I am a average linux user . I manage to
install it and its main packages on a AMD 2,4 GHZ with 256 RAM MB.
Everything is working fine . I use a brazilian version, namely Linux
2.4.25-klg #1 SMP Ter Abr 6 09:28:24 BRT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux.
The problem is that today I tried installing postgresql but I always
get the errors as follows:

QUOTE
root@ericohg:/# apt-get update
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Release
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/contrib Packages
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/contrib Release
Obtendo:1 http://www.backports.org stable/postgresql Packages [5288B]
Obtendo:2 http://www.backports.org stable/postgresql Release [141B]
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-free Packages
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-free Release
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-US/main Packages
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-US/main Release
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-US/contrib Packages
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-US/contrib Release
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-US/non-free Packages
Atingido http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/non-US/non-free Release
Baixados 5429B em 6s (845B/s)
Lendo Lista de Pacotes... Pronto
root@ericohg:/# apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client
Lendo Lista de Pacotes... Pronto
Construindo Árvore de Dependências... Pronto
postgresql-client já é a versão mais nova.
Pacotes sugeridos :
  libpg-perl libpgjava libpgtcl postgresql-doc postgresql-dev
  postgresql-contrib pgdocs pgaccess
Os NOVOS pacotes a seguir serão instalados:
  postgresql
0 pacotes atualizados, 1 pacotes novos instalados, 0 a serem removidos
e 66 não atualizados.
1 pacotes não totalmente instalados ou removidos.
É preciso fazer o download de 0B/3793kB de arquivos.
Depois de desempacotamento, 9806kB adicionais de espaço em disco serão
usados.
Preconfiguring packages ...
/tmp/postgresql.config.26871: line 12: Acquire: command not found
postgresql falhou na preconfiguração com estado de saída 127
(Lendo banco de dados ... 93942 arquivos e diretórios atualmente
instalados.)
Descompactando postgresql (de .../postgresql_7.4.7-3_i386.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/config: line 12: Acquire: command not found
dpkg: erro processando
/var/cache/apt/archives/postgresql_7.4.7-3_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocesso pre-installation script retornou código de saída de error
127
Erros foram encontrados durante processamento de:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/postgresql_7.4.7-3_i386.deb

UNQUOTE

I changed the source.list to get from another source (three, namely BR
(Brazil, US and FR) and, according to the information obtained here,
even added the content "http://www.backports.org stable/postgresql" to
the said file, as the default ftp sources have failed to work so far.

Although most of the output is in portuguese, one can learn that "
line 12: Acquire: command not found" is a mistake that i can not find
a solution to install Postgresql correctly.
I have been in many lists an web but I fail to find a hint to correct
that.
Do any of you have any hint to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Érico

miki@canaan.co.il (Michael Ben-Nes) wrote in message news:<423ED7EC.9090601@canaan.co.il>...
> Yep :)
>
> but that Expermental
>

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> >Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> >

> >>I recomend you to compile PG from source so you can use the new 8.0.1
> >>

> >PostgreSQL 8.0.1 is available in the Debian experimental suite, package
> >name "postgresql-8.0".
> >

> --
> --------------------------
> Canaan Surfing Ltd.
> Internet Service Providers
> Ben-Nes Michael - Manager
> Tel: 972-4-6991122
> Cel: 972-52-8555757
> Fax: 972-4-6990098
> http://www.canaan.net.il
> --------------------------

Re: Installing PostgreSQL in Debian

From
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Date:
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:48:59PM -0700,
 erico <ericobr@click21.com.br> wrote
 a message of 112 lines which said:

> Lendo Lista de Pacotes... Pronto
> Construindo Árvore de Dependências... Pronto

Before posting on an english-speaking mailing list, I suggest to set
your locale to C... ("export LC_MESSAGES=C" for instance)

> /tmp/postgresql.config.26871: line 12: Acquire: command not found

A mix between apt.conf or apt.conf.d and sources.list? Acquire is not
in Postgres sources so the error seems to be specific to your system
and not PostgreSQL-related. Show us these files.

Also, you mix "backports for stable" and "testing" in your sources.list
which is very surprising.