postgres 7.4 build for win

From
Amin Abdulghani
Date:
Hi,

I am trying to build postgres 7.4.5 on windows (200) on
mingw/msys env. I have installed win32-pthreads to
enable-thread safet feature. Couple of issues that I
wanted to check:.

i) The configure was --enablethread-safety flag for the
platform (it was complaining CANNOT enable threads on your
platform). I copied src/template/linux to
src/template/win32 (most of the contents seemed thread
related) and the error was gone. Does this fix seem
reasonable.

ii) I am now getting an error that postgres doesnt have
native spinlock on this platform and to disable the
spinlock. Is this the expected behavior for the platform.

Thanks..
Amin

Re: postgres 7.4 build for win

From
Miroslav Šulc
Date:
Hi Amin,

maybe I'm little off but why don't you try the 8.0.1 version which
should run on Windows platform?

Miroslav Šulc

Amin Abdulghani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build postgres 7.4.5 on windows (200) on mingw/msys
> env. I have installed win32-pthreads to enable-thread safet feature.
> Couple of issues that I wanted to check:.
>
> i) The configure was --enablethread-safety flag for the platform (it
> was complaining CANNOT enable threads on your platform). I copied
> src/template/linux to src/template/win32 (most of the contents seemed
> thread related) and the error was gone. Does this fix seem reasonable.
>
> ii) I am now getting an error that postgres doesnt have native
> spinlock on this platform and to disable the spinlock. Is this the
> expected behavior for the platform.
>
> Thanks..
> Amin

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: postgres 7.4 build for win

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to build postgres 7.4.5 on windows (200) on
>mingw/msys env. I have installed win32-pthreads to
>enable-thread safet feature. Couple of issues that I
>wanted to check:.

7.4 is not supported natively on win32. If you need it on windows, you
need to use cygwin. If you can, go to 8.0.1 which is natively supported.
(No, it's not just a matter of finding the right way to compile it.
There is a *lot* of code changes between 7.4 and 8.0 for win32
compatibility)

//Magnus

Re: postgres 7.4 build for win

From
Amin Abdulghani
Date:
I went for 8.0.1. Now compiling that (I need to compile it
with enable-thread-safety) it throws "THREAD-SAFETY
requires POSIX signals". Has this issue been looked upon
earlier .. I am not totally sure if we need the
thread-safey flag on windows or not, but it would be nice
to know if someone has seen this earlier..

Thanks..
Amin