pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

From
Jonathan Schreiter
Date:
hi all,
running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
could remember.

i can't seem to connect to the new database using
pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
postgres as the username, and my new password as the
password. i keep getting the error

Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

i also verified the postgresql service is running, and
that i've added the following to
/etc/raddb/postgresql.conf:
login = "postgres"
password = "mynewpassword"

and right underneath it:
tcpip = true

i've also disabled my local firewall and SELINUX just
for kicks. and yes, i did a reboot.

so...anyone know what else i can look at?

many thanks!
jonathan

Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

From
Sean Davis
Date:
Did you start the postmaster using '-i' to allow tcp/ip connections?

Sean

On Mar 2, 2005, at 6:15 AM, Jonathan Schreiter wrote:

> hi all,
> running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
> 7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
> explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
> latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
> database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
> password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
> could remember.
>
> i can't seem to connect to the new database using
> pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
> computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
> postgres as the username, and my new password as the
> password. i keep getting the error
>
> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
> server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
> accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> i also verified the postgresql service is running, and
> that i've added the following to
> /etc/raddb/postgresql.conf:
> login = "postgres"
> password = "mynewpassword"
>
> and right underneath it:
> tcpip = true
>
> i've also disabled my local firewall and SELINUX just
> for kicks. and yes, i did a reboot.
>
> so...anyone know what else i can look at?
>
> many thanks!
> jonathan
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

From
Marco Colombo
Date:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jonathan Schreiter wrote:

> hi all,
> running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
> 7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
> explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
> latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
> database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
> password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
> could remember.
>
> i can't seem to connect to the new database using
> pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
> computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
> postgres as the username, and my new password as the
> password. i keep getting the error
>
> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
> server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
> accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> i also verified the postgresql service is running, and
> that i've added the following to
> /etc/raddb/postgresql.conf:

This file is part of the freeradius package, and despite the name,
has nothing to do with your PostgreSQL configuration.

The default path for the real PostgreSQL configuration file is:
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

I don't know if running TCP/IP is a requirement for pgadmin3, but
if you need to access the _local_ PostgreSQL server, most clients
would do w/o configuring TCP/IP support at all.

> login = "postgres"
> password = "mynewpassword"
>
> and right underneath it:
> tcpip = true

These do not belong to PostgreSQL server configurarion. It's RADIUS stuff.

> i've also disabled my local firewall and SELINUX just
> for kicks. and yes, i did a reboot.
>
> so...anyone know what else i can look at?

1) make sure postgresql is running (use ps - look for a postmaster process)

2) if it's not there, run following command as root:

service postgresql start

3) if you want it to run automatically at boot, and it doesn't, run
    the following command as root:

chkconfig postgresql on

this won't start the process if it's not running. It just sets a flag
for the next boot.

4) i don't get what you mean for changing postgres password. To switch
to the postgres user, I usually switch to root first, and then to postgres.
Root can switch to any user w/o password. Actually, it's good security
practice not to assign any password to system pseudo-accounts ("postgres"
is one of them) and leave them locked. If you need a different access
method, I strongly suggest to look at the PostgreSQL way to authenticate
users and stop using the 'ident' method (see pg_hba.conf), which forces
you to run clients with a certain Unix user id.

5) try and access to the db with the psql client first. Use the same
connection method you're using with pgadmin3, and run it under the same
user you run pgadmin3 with. E.g.:

psql -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres mydb

see psql manual for details.

If you successfully get to 5), it's likely it's a pgadmin3 problem.

.TM.
--
       ____/  ____/   /
      /      /       /            Marco Colombo

Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

From
"Sim Zacks"
Date:
Did you set up the pg_hba.conf file with the proper security rights?

"Jonathan Schreiter" <jonathanschreiter@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
> running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
> 7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
> explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
> latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
> database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
> password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
> could remember.
>
> i can't seem to connect to the new database using
> pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
> computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
> postgres as the username, and my new password as the
> password. i keep getting the error
>
> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
> server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
> accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

From
"Greg Patnude"
Date:
That particular error message is typically associated with a missing
pg_hba.conf entry that tells the postgreSQL server which remote machines to
allow connections FROM....

# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records.  Also, remember TCP/IP connections are only enabled
# if you enable "tcpip_socket" in postgresql.conf.

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK           METHOD

local   all         all                                             trust
# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
# IPv6-style local connections:
host    all         all         ::1
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff        trust
host all all 10.1.10.23 255.255.255.255 trust

Regards....

"Jonathan Schreiter" <jonathanschreiter@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
> running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
> 7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
> explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
> latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
> database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
> password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
> could remember.
>
> i can't seem to connect to the new database using
> pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
> computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
> postgres as the username, and my new password as the
> password. i keep getting the error
>
> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
> server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
> accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> i also verified the postgresql service is running, and
> that i've added the following to
> /etc/raddb/postgresql.conf:
> login = "postgres"
> password = "mynewpassword"
>
> and right underneath it:
> tcpip = true
>
> i've also disabled my local firewall and SELINUX just
> for kicks. and yes, i did a reboot.
>
> so...anyone know what else i can look at?
>
> many thanks!
> jonathan

Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

From
Edward Macnaghten
Date:
pgadmin3 does not seem to want to connect to the server using UNIX
sockets, it only does it through TCP.

Set up the Postgres server to use TCP (as well as UNIX sockets) - i.e. -
starting postmaster with the -i option, sorting it pg_hba.conf etc.

Eddy

Jonathan Schreiter wrote:
> hi all,
> running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
> 7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
> explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
> latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
> database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
> password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
> could remember.
>
> i can't seem to connect to the new database using
> pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
> computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
> postgres as the username, and my new password as the
> password. i keep getting the error
>
> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
> server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
> accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> i also verified the postgresql service is running, and
> that i've added the following to
> /etc/raddb/postgresql.conf:
> login = "postgres"
> password = "mynewpassword"
>
> and right underneath it:
> tcpip = true
>
> i've also disabled my local firewall and SELINUX just
> for kicks. and yes, i did a reboot.
>
> so...anyone know what else i can look at?
>
> many thanks!
> jonathan

Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

From
"Guy Rouillier"
Date:
Jonathan Schreiter wrote:
> i can't seem to connect to the new database using
> pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
> computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
> postgres as the username, and my new password as the
> password. i keep getting the error
>
> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
> server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
> accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Make sure to include the above address (or most likely the hostname
equivalent) to your list of listen_addresses in postgresql.conf.

--
Guy Rouillier