GUI

From
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Date:
Hi All,

My sincere apologies if this is not the right list.
I want to build a GUI for postgres DB, is there any toolkit available
which allows to whip up a GUI real fast? General features for the GUi
are like select a file to upload, login for DB....

Thanks in advance.
HD

Re: GUI

From
"Cristian Prieto"
Date:
I prefer GTK, but your platform will be Windows or *NIXes?
(If you choose Linux I will be very glad to help you)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hrishikesh Deshmukh" <hdeshmuk@gmail.com>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:47 PM
Subject: [GENERAL] GUI

> Hi All,
>
> My sincere apologies if this is not the right list.
> I want to build a GUI for postgres DB, is there any toolkit available
> which allows to whip up a GUI real fast? General features for the GUi
> are like select a file to upload, login for DB....
>
> Thanks in advance.
> HD

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: GUI

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My sincere apologies if this is not the right list.
> I want to build a GUI for postgres DB, is there any toolkit available
> which allows to whip up a GUI real fast? General features for the GUi
> are like select a file to upload, login for DB....

A GUI for the web, MS-Windows, Mac, Linux or something else?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: GUI

From
Robby Russell
Date:
On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 15:47 -0500, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>My sincere apologies if this is not the right list.
>I want to build a GUI for postgres DB, is there any toolkit available
>which allows to whip up a GUI real fast? General features for the GUi
>are like select a file to upload, login for DB....
>
>Thanks in advance.
>HD

wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows)
http://www.wxwidgets.org/

there is wxPython, wxRuby, wxEtc..

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---

Re: GUI

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
On 27 Feb 2005 at 15:47, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:

> My sincere apologies if this is not the right list.
> I want to build a GUI for postgres DB, is there any toolkit available
> which allows to whip up a GUI real fast? General features for the GUi
> are like select a file to upload, login for DB....

Have you seen pgAdmin (www.pgadmin.org)?

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell     http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
rod@iol.ie                          Galway Cathedral Recitals

Re: GUI

From
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Date:
Hi All,

I want to spend less time coding and more time running queries against
the DB which i am building. What about QT from TrollTech!! Can that be
used to whip up gui real fast! Dreamweaver?

Hrishi

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:55:04 +0000, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
> Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> > A GUI for the web running on linux.
>
> Don't forget to CC: the mailing list too. I don't read this email
> address very often - lots of spam.
>
> Your problem isn't a lack of choices, but rather too many.
>
> Perl has plenty of HTML templating systems from the simple
> HTML::Template through to HTML::Mason - more of a website-building
> system. For database access, DBI with DBD::Pg is the standard way to go.
> CPAN is your friend here, of course.
>
> Python has its own set of modules. Start looking here:
>   http://www.python.org/moin/WebProgramming
>   http://www.python.org/topics/web/HTML.html
> You might want to look at Zope as an application framework too.
>
> Ruby has many people who swear by it, and there's been a lot of fuss
> recently over "Ruby on Rails" which is supposed to be a very fast
> development setup
>   http://www.rubyonrails.org/
>
> Java and its various servelet/jsp structures are too big a topic to
> cover here.
>
> In addition, there are a lot of content-management systems and toolkits
> that might be useful for you. Two worth looking at are Plone and Bricolage.
>
> HTH
> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

Re: GUI

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to spend less time coding and more time running queries against
> the DB which i am building. What about QT from TrollTech!! Can that be
> used to whip up gui real fast! Dreamweaver?

Neither of these are really application tools.

Give "Ruby on Rails" a look - that's probably about as fast as you're
going to get for simple tools.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: GUI

From
Sean Davis
Date:
If you are into perl, you should definitely look at Class::DBI
(http://www.class-dbi.com) which is freely available from CPAN (despite
the .com site).  It treats table rows as objects with methods.  It can
model foreign key relationships based entirely on the database schema
(and entirely automatically).  Then, there are simple extensions that
add methods for generating an HTML form directly from the database,
validate the resulting queries, etc.  It can be a very fast way to
develop a web-based application.

Sean

On Mar 1, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to spend less time coding and more time running queries against
> the DB which i am building. What about QT from TrollTech!! Can that be
> used to whip up gui real fast! Dreamweaver?
>
> Hrishi
>

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:55:04 +0000, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>
> wrote:
>> Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
>>> A GUI for the web running on linux.
>>
>> Don't forget to CC: the mailing list too. I don't read this email
>> address very often - lots of spam.
>>
>> Your problem isn't a lack of choices, but rather too many.
>>
>> Perl has plenty of HTML templating systems from the simple
>> HTML::Template through to HTML::Mason - more of a website-building
>> system. For database access, DBI with DBD::Pg is the standard way to
>> go.
>> CPAN is your friend here, of course.
>>
>> Python has its own set of modules. Start looking here:
>>   http://www.python.org/moin/WebProgramming
>>   http://www.python.org/topics/web/HTML.html
>> You might want to look at Zope as an application framework too.
>>
>> Ruby has many people who swear by it, and there's been a lot of fuss
>> recently over "Ruby on Rails" which is supposed to be a very fast
>> development setup
>>   http://www.rubyonrails.org/
>>
>> Java and its various servelet/jsp structures are too big a topic to
>> cover here.
>>
>> In addition, there are a lot of content-management systems and
>> toolkits
>> that might be useful for you. Two worth looking at are Plone and
>> Bricolage.
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>>   Richard Huxton
>>   Archonet Ltd
>>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: GUI

From
James Thompson
Date:
On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:07 am, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to spend less time coding and more time running queries against
> the DB which i am building. What about QT from TrollTech!! Can that be
> used to whip up gui real fast! Dreamweaver?
>
> Hrishi

You could use gnue-designer and gnue-forms from www.gnuenterprise.org.  It
lets you paint the input/query forms by drag and drop fields from the db.
You can create multi table master/details forms from existing tables in
seconds that give you insert, update, delete, query capabilities.  You can
assign triggers to forms to do custom processing.  And if you need more
customization you can write python scripts using the gnue-common library
which is the core of our other tools.  I've done that to create custom apps
that tie our database access system to a ui built with pyqt and qt-designer.

Several of the developers hang out in #gnuenterprise on irc.freenode.net if
you'd like more info.

Take Care,
James

Re: GUI

From
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Date:
Hi All,

A question about "joins" i have 17 tables in my postgres-DB how does
one perform a join on these many tables!!! :(

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:42:57 -0600, James Thompson <jamest@ajrs.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:07 am, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I want to spend less time coding and more time running queries against
> > the DB which i am building. What about QT from TrollTech!! Can that be
> > used to whip up gui real fast! Dreamweaver?
> >
> > Hrishi
>
> You could use gnue-designer and gnue-forms from www.gnuenterprise.org.  It
> lets you paint the input/query forms by drag and drop fields from the db.
> You can create multi table master/details forms from existing tables in
> seconds that give you insert, update, delete, query capabilities.  You can
> assign triggers to forms to do custom processing.  And if you need more
> customization you can write python scripts using the gnue-common library
> which is the core of our other tools.  I've done that to create custom apps
> that tie our database access system to a ui built with pyqt and qt-designer.
>
> Several of the developers hang out in #gnuenterprise on irc.freenode.net if
> you'd like more info.
>
> Take Care,
> James

Re: GUI

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Am Donnerstag, den 03.03.2005, 14:35 -0500 schrieb Hrishikesh Deshmukh:
> Hi All,
>
> A question about "joins" i have 17 tables in my postgres-DB how does
> one perform a join on these many tables!!! :(

you just use 16 times the word "JOIN" ?

HTH
Tino

Re: GUI

From
Sean Davis
Date:
On Mar 3, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 03.03.2005, 14:35 -0500 schrieb Hrishikesh Deshmukh:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A question about "joins" i have 17 tables in my postgres-DB how does
>> one perform a join on these many tables!!! :(

What are you trying to do?  You have 17 total tables and you want to
know how to join in general on several of them, or you need to do a
17-table join?

Sean

Re: GUI

From
Hrishikesh Deshmukh
Date:
Hi,
I want to do a 17 table join! :( But a general idea will help.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:56:13 -0500, Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
> > Am Donnerstag, den 03.03.2005, 14:35 -0500 schrieb Hrishikesh Deshmukh:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> A question about "joins" i have 17 tables in my postgres-DB how does
> >> one perform a join on these many tables!!! :(
> >>

> What are you trying to do?  You have 17 total tables and you want to
> know how to join in general on several of them, or you need to do a
> 17-table join?
>
> Sean

Re: GUI

From
Robby Russell
Date:
On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 18:00 -0500, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to do a 17 table join! :( But a general idea will help.
>
> Thanks,

Try here to start:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/tutorial-join.html

> SELECT *
>     FROM weather LEFT OUTER JOIN cities ON (weather.city = cities.name);

Cheers,