8.0 and Mandrake 10.1

From
Dave
Date:
Hi,

When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community
box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled
that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the
configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the
latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc...

postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now, I
am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but does
anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes all have
no problems with this... postgresql built fine without openssl... but I
would like SSL, so I am confused here. Any tips for Mandrake 10.1 and
building postgresql most appreciated...

Thanks

Re: 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1

From
"Alexander Nolting"
Date:
Hello Dave,

You have to install all devel packages you need for all options you want to
use.
In this case openssl-devel or ...-dev.
Regards
Alex

Re: 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 16:50, Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community
> box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled
> that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the
> configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the
> latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc...
>
> postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now, I
> am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but does
> anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes all have
> no problems with this... postgresql built fine without openssl... but I
> would like SSL, so I am confused here. Any tips for Mandrake 10.1 and
> building postgresql most appreciated...

These kinds of problems normally come from missing a -devel part of a
package.  For instance, readline and openssl come as two packages each
in RedHat:

smarlowe@state:~> rpm -qa|grep readline
readline-devel-4.3-10.1
readline-4.3-10.1
smarlowe@state:~> rpm -qa|grep openssl
openssl-devel-0.9.7a-35
openssl-0.9.7a-35

And you generally need both of them.  More than likely you're just
missing whatever mandrake versions of those devel rpms you need.

Re: 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community
> box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled
> that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the
> configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the
> latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc...
>
> postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now,
> I am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but
> does anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes
> all have no problems with this... postgresql built fine without
> openssl... but I would like SSL, so I am confused here. Any tips for
> Mandrake 10.1 and building postgresql most appreciated...

Usually PoistgreSQL is looking for the packages

openssl-devel & readline-devel

Chances are you have openssl but not openssl-devel

Try that.

> Thanks

Re: 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1

From
Mike Benoit
Date:
You could try the Mandrake supplied RPMs for PG v8.0 that are included
with cooker already.

ftp://sunsite.uio.no/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/postgres*

Use this URL:

ftp://sunsite.uio.no/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main

with URPMI, then it should install it for you, and do all the dirty
work.

Or if you don't want to upgrade to Cooker, you could try just
downloading the RPMs and running URPMI <rpm1> <rpm2> ...

I just installed it this afternoon and it worked like a charm.

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 17:50 -0500, Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community
> box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled
> that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the
> configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the
> latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc...
>
> postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now, I
> am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but does
> anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes all have
> no problems with this... postgresql built fine without openssl... but I
> would like SSL, so I am confused here. Any tips for Mandrake 10.1 and
> building postgresql most appreciated...
>
> Thanks

Mike Benoit <ipso@snappymail.ca>

Attachment