Re: PostgreSQL 8 on windows very slow

From
Daniel Schuchardt
lol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently testing several databases for an application written in
> Delphi 7. I use zeos lib to access PostreSQL8-RC1 on MS-Windows 2000
> SP4. PostrgreSQL is extremly slow, with a lot of disk access on INSERT
> request. Have-you seen this problem ? May be some parameters should be
> adjusted. What should I check ?
> Thanks

I think first you should use a newer RC. In the first RC there were some
probs...

With RC3 I don't have such probs. Sure If I compared Win and Linux PG
and ma results where that LINUX is about 3 times faster under high access.

Daniel

Re: PostgreSQL 8 on windows very slow

From
Jamie Deppeler
Date:
Daniel Schuchardt wrote:

> lol wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently testing several databases for an application written in
>> Delphi 7. I use zeos lib to access PostreSQL8-RC1 on MS-Windows 2000
>> SP4. PostrgreSQL is extremly slow, with a lot of disk access on INSERT
>> request. Have-you seen this problem ? May be some parameters should be
>> adjusted. What should I check ? Thanks
>>

> I think first you should use a newer RC. In the first RC there were
> some probs...
>
> With RC3 I don't have such probs. Sure If I compared Win and Linux PG
> and ma results where that LINUX is about 3 times faster under high
> access.
>
> Daniel

I don't have any probs with RC3 either. I was wondering if the
PostgreSQL community has any support for gay users? Does the Linux
version have gay mode and is it faster?

lol wrote:
> I have tried RC4, but there's no differences
>
> My results using my configuration are :
> MySQL 4 is 6 times  faster than pgSQL
> Firebird 1.5 is 3 times faster than pgSQL
>
> Are these results coherent ? May be the problem comes more from ZeosLib
> than pgSQL8

what zeoslib do you use?

6.X?

thay are known slow. I still use 5.X. I haven't tried this yet. Do you
use Delphi? Have you tried dbexpress? (www.vitavoom.com)

Daniel.

Re: PostgreSQL 8 on windows very slow

From
"lol"
Date:
I use zeoslib 6.1.5 for Delphi 7. I have also tried 6.5.1-alpha. It's
faster (especially with firebird).
I will take a look at dbExpress.

Thank you.

Date:
I have tried RC4, but there's no differences

My results using my configuration are :
MySQL 4 is 6 times  faster than pgSQL
Firebird 1.5 is 3 times faster than pgSQL

Are these results coherent ? May be the problem comes more from ZeosLib
than pgSQL8

Re: PostgreSQL 8 on windows very slow

From
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Date:
On 11 Jan 2005 at 8:16, lol wrote:

> I use zeoslib 6.1.5 for Delphi 7. I have also tried 6.5.1-alpha. It's
> faster (especially with firebird).
> I will take a look at dbExpress.

I've recently started using dbExpress with Delphi 6 for a desktop
client application, and have found it fast and easy to use.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell     http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
rod@iol.ie                          Galway Cathedral Recitals