PostgreSQL training curriculum

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
I've been contracted to provide 3 days of PostgreSQL training, and I'm
wondering if anyone has curriculum they'd like to share with me, or
suggestions for course materials. This course is targeted at database
experts who want to come up to speed on PostgreSQL, so it will deal
mostly with installation, tuning, and troubleshooting.

I am being paid for this training, so keep that in mind if you're a real
GPL zealot. ;) I've seen that Bruce Momjian has curriculum posted on his
website, but I haven't turned anything else up yet.

Re: PostgreSQL training curriculum

From
Doug Quale
Date:
"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:

> I am being paid for this training, so keep that in mind if you're a real
> GPL zealot. ;)

Why would a GPL zealot care if you are being paid to provide training?

Date:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 04:13:46PM -0600, Doug Quale wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
>
> > I am being paid for this training, so keep that in mind if you're a real
> > GPL zealot. ;)
>
> Why would a GPL zealot care if you are being paid to provide training?

Maybe 'GPL zealot' is a bad choice of words, but it wouldn't surprise me
if some people who post training information wouldn't want it used by
someone who's going to turn around and make money on it. I suspect few
if any PostgreSQL users are like that (since PostgreSQL is BSD
licensed), but you never know.

Re: PostgreSQL training curriculum

From
"Frank D. Engel, Jr."
Date:
Or anything else for that matter?

The GPL specifically allows you to charge even for the software (for
other people's work, in fact); the catch is that you can't prevent the
people you sell it to from giving it away for free, so what's the point
;-)  (although companies like redhat and mandrake do it all the time,
of course...  they provide commercial support and nice company-logo
books 'n boxes to compensate for that fact, but in the end...)

Also, PostgreSQL is *not* covered by the GPL.

On Dec 21, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Doug Quale wrote:

> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
>
>> I am being paid for this training, so keep that in mind if you're a
>> real
>> GPL zealot. ;)
>
> Why would a GPL zealot care if you are being paid to provide training?
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101@fjrhome.net>

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$

Signup at www.doteasy.com

Re: PostgreSQL training curriculum

From
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Date:
The FSF site explicitly says that free software is not free, it's about
freedom.  I don't think the idea is to let your kids starve.  --Rick

                      "Jim C. Nasby"

                      <decibel@decibel.org>          To:       Doug Quale <quale1@charter.net>

                      Sent by:                       cc:       pgsql-general@postgresql.org

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos        Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL training curriculum

                      tgresql.org

                      12/21/2004 05:41 PM

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 04:13:46PM -0600, Doug Quale wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
>
> > I am being paid for this training, so keep that in mind if you're a
real
> > GPL zealot. ;)
>
> Why would a GPL zealot care if you are being paid to provide training?

Maybe 'GPL zealot' is a bad choice of words, but it wouldn't surprise me
if some people who post training information wouldn't want it used by
someone who's going to turn around and make money on it. I suspect few
if any PostgreSQL users are like that (since PostgreSQL is BSD
licensed), but you never know.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: PostgreSQL training curriculum

From