Count Issues

From
Dev
Date:
Hello all,

I am trying to get a total number of rows returned form a query.

SELECT count(this) from table group by this

Currently it is returning x rows  with a count of each of the group by.

I need the count of the rows returned!

Any way to do this?

UMPA Brian C. Doyle
Director, Internet Services
United Merchant Processing Association
http://www.umpa-us.com
1-800-555-9665 ext 212

Re: Count Issues

From
Andre Maasikas
Dev wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get a total number of rows returned form a query.
>
> SELECT count(this) from table group by this
>
> Currently it is returning x rows  with a count of each of the group by.
>
> I need the count of the rows returned!

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT this) FROM table

Andre

Re: Count Issues

From
Steven Klassen
Date:
* Dev <dev@umpa-us.com> [2004-10-14 16:54:56 -0400]:

> I am trying to get a total number of rows returned form a query.
>
> SELECT count(this) from table group by this

Remove the 'group by' clause -- you don't need it.

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564

Re: Count Issues

From
John Sidney-Woollett
Date:
How about ...

Dev wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get a total number of rows returned form a query.
>
> SELECT count(this) from table group by this
>
> Currently it is returning x rows  with a count of each of the group by.
>
> I need the count of the rows returned!
>
> Any way to do this?
>

> ----------
>
> UMPA
>   Brian C. Doyle
> Director, Internet Services
> United Merchant Processing Association
> <http://www.umpa-us.com>http://www.umpa-us.com
> 1-800-555-9665 ext 212

R: Count Issues

From
"Luciano Bastianello "
Date:
SELECT COUNT(*) from mytable

Bastianello Luciano
Software Consultant - Apprentice Sorcerer
e-mail: lbastianello@virgilio.it
e-mail: lbastianello@yahoo.it
ICQ: 209754422 - MSN: cteniza@hotmail.com

Re: Count Issues

From
Dev
Date:
Thank you all who helped me out on this..
I had tried the distinct but not inside the count.
I was using the group by because this could have multiple returns but after adding the distinct to inside the count it worked like a charm!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped out on this one!