Level of replication support?

From
nd02tsk@student.hig.se
Date:
Hello

I am going to do a comparison betweem PgSQL and MySQL replication system.

I hear there are some replication projects available for PgSQL.  Which are
still active and serious, because I hear that some are not active or
incomplete?

Will any of these projects be merged with PgSQL soon?

I appreciate all information.

Thank you.

Tim

Re: Level of replication support?

From
Robby Russell
Date:
On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 20:02 +0200, nd02tsk@student.hig.se wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am going to do a comparison betweem PgSQL and MySQL replication system.
>
> I hear there are some replication projects available for PgSQL.  Which are
> still active and serious, because I hear that some are not active or
> incomplete?

Slony-I is the most active *community* project currently.

> Will any of these projects be merged with PgSQL soon?

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development

Date:
On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 10:59 -0700, Robby Russell wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 20:02 +0200, nd02tsk@student.hig.se wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am going to do a comparison betweem PgSQL and MySQL replication system.
> >
> > I hear there are some replication projects available for PgSQL.  Which are
> > still active and serious, because I hear that some are not active or
> > incomplete?
> >

> Slony-I is the most active *community* project currently.

forgot the url

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php

> > Will any of these projects be merged with PgSQL soon?

It's something you would install along with pgsql. Not likely to ever be
bundled together.

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development

Re: Level of replication support?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

There are two heavily supported and active replication projects.

1. Slony - http://www.slony.info
2. Mammoth Replicator - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Slony is Open Source and uses triggers and a replication schema to
replicate data.

Mammoth Replicator is commercial and uses a transaction log and a master
control process to replicate data.

Slony replicates data every (10?) transactions.
Mammoth Replicator replicates every transaction.

Mammoth is older than Slony and backed by my company Command Prompt, Inc.

Neither is slated to be "integrated" with PostgreSQL as they are both
good products that serve different purposes.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

nd02tsk@student.hig.se wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am going to do a comparison betweem PgSQL and MySQL replication system.
>
> I hear there are some replication projects available for PgSQL.  Which are
> still active and serious, because I hear that some are not active or
> incomplete?
>
> Will any of these projects be merged with PgSQL soon?
>
> I appreciate all information.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Tim

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Level of replication support?

From
Ted Shab
Date:
Here is a good overview.

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000846.html

Note that http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/ is a
multi-master solution using TCL.  Despite the dire
home page, it is "actively" supported.  However, our
experience with it was that it was not industrial
strenght.  We aren't TCL experts though, so maybe that
would have helped.

--Ted

http://vote.yahoo.com

Re: Level of replication support?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are two heavily supported and active replication projects.
>
> 1. Slony - http://www.slony.info
> 2. Mammoth Replicator - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Three, actually ...

   3. eRServer - http://www.pgsql.com

We're currently working on the next version ...

----

Re: Level of replication support?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") transmitted:
> Slony replicates data every (10?) transactions.

No, Slony-I replicates each and every transaction that it processes,
identifying it as a transaction independent of others.

In practice, it is usually preferable to group updates together when
_applying_ them into destination systems; how much or how little
grouping is done is configurable.

> Mammoth Replicator replicates every transaction.

Just like Slony-I ;-).

> Mammoth is older than Slony and backed by my company Command Prompt,
> Inc.

> Neither is slated to be "integrated" with PostgreSQL as they are both
> good products that serve different purposes.

An excellent reason NOT to integrate these systems tightly is that it
allows them to be used between _different_ versions of PostgreSQL,
between different platforms, and such.

One of the common "use cases" people have been finding finding for
Slony-I hasn't got to do with maintaining replicas, but rather to do
with doing quick upgrades to a new version of PostgreSQL.

Rather than doing a pg_dump, and having to sit in downtime from the
time the dump starts until when it is applied, you set up a
replication target on the newer version of PostgreSQL.  If it takes 3
days to bring the target "online" and up to date, that doesn't
"matter" because it isn't downtime for the live system.

Once the target is up to date, it can take seconds to minutes to
merely switch over to the new PG database, rather than the hours
needed by less sophisticated methods.  No doubt the same can be done
with Mammoth Replicator.

Tight integration with the database discourages that sort of thing.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html