Re: [NOVICE] pgAccess via ssh?

From
Ron St-Pierre
Mike wrote:

>Hi Op,
>
>Thanks for your response.
>Were you able to use it remotely from a winbox like I am trying to do?
>And you were using it to connect to your db by ssh too?

<snip>
We remotely access postgres all the time, from both windows and linux
boxes. You can ssh into the box
(using ssh from linux, putty from windows), and use psql to access the
database. Likewise you can
use pgAdminIII from either linux or windows to connect if you prefer a
gui. It's very straight forward.
Ron

Re: [NOVICE] pgAccess via ssh?

From
Mike
Date:
Hi Ron,

I've got the puTTY via ssh working well.
So, you're saying I can puTTY via ssh to connect to the linux box and
postgresql server, and then start pgAdminIII  and I'll be able to use
the GUI app. with the postgres database.
No Cygwin necessary for this situation?

Please let me know if I'm understanding this correctly when you have a moment.

Thanks for your guidance and input.

Mike

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:09:52 -0700, Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre@syscor.com> wrote:
> Likewise you can
> use pgAdminIII from either linux or windows to connect if you prefer a
> gui. It's very straight forward.
> Ron

Re: [NOVICE] pgAccess via ssh?

From
"Jim Wilson"
Mike said:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I've got the puTTY via ssh working well.
> So, you're saying I can puTTY via ssh to connect to the linux box and
> postgresql server, and then start pgAdminIII  and I'll be able to use
> the GUI app. with the postgres database.

Check this page out:

http://www.cyberknights.com.au/doc/PuTTY-tunnelling-HOWTO.html

On a linux client use something like this:

ssh -L 6969:pghost:5432 yourusername@pghost

"pghost" is the machine with your postgres server.  This makes your local
machine listen on 6969 for tunnel requests.

That means you just go into in pgadmin and configure a connection to 6969 on
localhost.  Note that the port number 6969 can be anything you want, other
than a port the client is already listening on.

The same technique should work with puTTY setting up according to the above link.

Best,

Jim