Re: [NOVICE] pgAccess via ssh? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Wilson
Subject Re: [NOVICE] pgAccess via ssh?
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike said:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I've got the puTTY via ssh working well.
> So, you're saying I can puTTY via ssh to connect to the linux box and
> postgresql server, and then start pgAdminIII  and I'll be able to use
> the GUI app. with the postgres database.

Check this page out:

http://www.cyberknights.com.au/doc/PuTTY-tunnelling-HOWTO.html

On a linux client use something like this:

ssh -L 6969:pghost:5432 yourusername@pghost

"pghost" is the machine with your postgres server.  This makes your local
machine listen on 6969 for tunnel requests.

That means you just go into in pgadmin and configure a connection to 6969 on
localhost.  Note that the port number 6969 can be anything you want, other
than a port the client is already listening on.

The same technique should work with puTTY setting up according to the above link.

Best,

Jim