PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on a windows XP Pro environment Installation

From
"Chuck Bernardes"

Anyone successful in installing PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on a windows XP Pro environment?  I've read various README's but seem daunting and confusing.  I am at a stumbling block and cant get pass it.  Anyone willing to e-mail the detailed steps to me would be much appreciated.  Please don’t refer to me to the PostgreSQL README for 7.4.3.  I've read it so many times and something keeps going wrong.  I’m newbie to the LINUX environment too so some of the references seem like another language.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on a windows XP Pro environment

From
mike g
Date:
Would this be installing from source code or using a cygwin package?  I
use 7.4.3 under cygwin package on XP Pro 24x7.

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 16:17, Chuck Bernardes wrote:
> Anyone successful in installing PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on a windows XP Pro
> environment?  I've read various README's but seem daunting and
> confusing.  I am at a stumbling block and cant get pass it.  Anyone
> willing to e-mail the detailed steps to me would be much appreciated.
> Please don’t refer to me to the PostgreSQL README for 7.4.3.  I've
> read it so many times and something keeps going wrong.  I’m newbie to
> the LINUX environment too so some of the references seem like another
> language.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chuck

Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on a windows XP Pro environment Installation

From
"Chuck Bernardes"
Date:
Thanks all in providing me some needed tips and information.  Being a newbie
to this environment, I was jumping from one set of README's from a previous
versions and the reading the current README's for 7.4.3 and was confused on
why one set of instructions was using the ipc-daemon2 and the current
version using cygserver.  In doing so, I also didn't realize the different
path information and daemon or cygserver that were being used i.e.  in the
previous version it was referencing /usr/share/postgresql/data and the
current was using /var/postgresql/data.  I still don't know why the paths
changed.  Does anyone know?   Overall, it was just a big mess in my part.  I
also found out that I didn't set my path and environmental variables
correctly.  After an exhaustive research based on previous past problems
that other users posted, I was able to knock a problem off one by one.
Sorry for being long winded, but just wanted to inform everyone that I was
finally able to get it running on XP pro.  Now on to configuring the
database and its tables for my Company's website.

Thanks,
Chuck