FW: problems with installing postgres

From
Adam Witney
Date:
Forwarding to the mailing list, as I don't know how to fix it....

------ Forwarded Message
From: Henning Klein <kleinh@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:09:08 +0200
To: awitney@sghms.ac.uk
Subject: problems with installing postgres

hi,

i have major problems installing pgsql on a mac using mac os x 10.2.8.
everytime i try to start initdb after finishing my installation the mac
says:
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale de_DE.

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data//base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data//global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data//pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data//pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 50
selecting default shared_buffers... 300
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data//base/1... FATAL:
invalid value for parameter "lc_time": "de_DE"

initdb: failed

the postgre documentation does not give any answer how to initialize a
database without localization. do you have an idea, how to fix my
problem?

regards henning klein

believed to be clean.

Re: FW: problems with installing postgres

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Adam Witney wrote:
> Forwarding to the mailing list, as I don't know how to fix it....

Well, you can run initdb with different locales:
   initdb --locale=C
Or, you could just override the invalid time locale:
   initdb --lc-time=<CORRECT ZONE HERE>

Now, why de_DE isn't valid, I don't know. Try the output of "locale"
from the command-prompt and see what that says about it.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: FW: problems with installing postgres

Date:
> Now, why de_DE isn't valid, I don't know.

We've seen reports of this kind before --- it appears that the locale
support in OS X 10.2.* is rather incomplete.  I don't recall having
heard any similar reports concerning 10.3 though, so maybe the best
answer is an upgrade to Panther.  (In the meantime though, you can
work around it as Richard suggests.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: FW: problems with installing postgres

From
Henning Klein
Date:
OK, Richard's tip works, i do not really know why - it is not the first
time i installed postgresql on macos x, so i believe apples locales
support on the system is not really good. thanks for all of you helping
me.

regards
henning