Postgresql installation.

From
"Janio Rosa da Silva"
Date:
Hi,

I am trying install the postgresql-7.4.3 simple installation. I did ./configure command at the postgresql directory source. While the configuring proccess I receiving the follow message:

checking for tar... /bin/tar
checking for strip... strip
checking whether it is possible to strip libraries... yes
checking for bison... bison -y
*** The installed version of Bison is too old.  PostgreSQL needs
*** Bison version 1.875 or later.
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for main in -lbsd... no
checking for setproctitle in -lutil... no
checking for main in -lm... yes
But, after this message the install proccess continue like this message. The problem is that the installation never finish. I am thinking that the configure proccess is in loop. Have it anything relation with my hardware configuration? The computer where I did this is:  AMD K6-II 200 MHZ; 64 MB memory;
I would like why the configure proccess never finish.

Regards,

Janio

Re: Postgresql installation.

Date:
"Janio Rosa da Silva" <janio_2003@yahoo.com.br> writes:
> But, after this message the install proccess continue like this message. Th=
> e problem is that the installation never finish. I am thinking that the con=
> figure proccess is in loop. Have it anything relation with my hardware conf=
> iguration? The computer where I did this is:  AMD K6-II 200 MHZ; 64 MB memo=
> ry;

How long did you wait?  On a machine like that I'd not be surprised for
the configure script to run ten or fifteen minutes :-(.

If it actually is stuck, show us the last few lines printed on the
terminal as well as the last few lines stored in config.log. Also,
is it still consuming CPU?  (Use "top" to see if anything is going
on or not.)

            regards, tom lane