Need help with Dead Lock - reg.

From
Shanmugasundaram Doraisamy
Date:
Dear Group,
                      Is there a way to increase the time of Dead Lock?
The default is set to 1000 msec.

Regards,
Shan.

Re: Need help with Dead Lock - reg.

From
mike g
Date:
I believe that setting can be found in your postgresql.conf file.
Change it there and restart the postmaster.

Mike
On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 13:12, Shanmugasundaram Doraisamy wrote:
> Dear Group,
>                       Is there a way to increase the time of Dead Lock?
> The default is set to 1000 msec.
>
> Regards,
> Shan.

Re: Need help with Dead Lock - reg.

From
Shanmugasundaram Doraisamy
Date:
Dear Mike,
                   Thank you for your response.  I have made the
required changes.  But  is there any optimum value for this?

Regards,
Shan.

mike g wrote:

>I believe that setting can be found in your postgresql.conf file.
>Change it there and restart the postmaster.
>
>Mike
>On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 13:12, Shanmugasundaram Doraisamy wrote:
>

>>Dear Group,
>>                      Is there a way to increase the time of Dead Lock?
>>The default is set to 1000 msec.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Shan.

>>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: Need help with Dead Lock - reg.

From
Mike G
Date:
I would consider the default probably an optimum value.  If you are having to increase it to keep your applications
workingthen there are other issues that need to be addressed.  Increasing it might keep the applications "working" but
theusers will probably still complain about the poor performance of it.

Date:
Mike G <mike@thegodshalls.com> writes:
> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 13:12, Shanmugasundaram Doraisamy wrote:
>> Is there a way to increase the time of Dead Lock?
>> The default is set to 1000 msec.

> I would consider the default probably an optimum value.  If you are
> having to increase it to keep your applications working then there are
> other issues that need to be addressed.

AFAIK, neither increasing nor decreasing that timeout will have the
slightest effect on whether your apps get deadlock failures.  All it
does is determine how quickly an existing deadlock is detected.
A shorter timeout means you wait less long to be told of a deadlock,
but it also causes more cycles to be spent checking for deadlocks
that may not exist.  If you've got apps that are designed not to ever
deadlock, then you might want to kick the timeout up a lot to ensure
you don't waste time on deadlock checks even under heavy load.

So I'm wondering what the OP's problem *really* is; whatever it is,
I doubt that fooling with deadlock_timeout will solve it.

            regards, tom lane