Problem with sequences on a reload of a pg_dump file

From
Sean Shanny
Date:
To all,

We dumped our instance from a 7.4.2 instance compiled with a block size
of 32k running on OSX 10.3.3 server..  We loaded this dump on Fedora
2.6.5-1.358smp running postgresql 7.4.2 compiled with the standard 8k
blocks size.

My problem is that all the sequences were reset to start a 1. :-(   Did
I do something wrong as this has never happened before?  Also, can I
simply figure out what the  next value should be and manually update the
last_value column in each affected sequence?

Thanks.

--sean

Re: Problem with sequences on a reload of a pg_dump file

Date:
Sean Shanny <shannyconsulting@earthlink.net> writes:
> My problem is that all the sequences were reset to start a 1. :-(   Did
> I do something wrong as this has never happened before?

Did the reload actually complete, or did it fail partway through?

> Also, can I
> simply figure out what the  next value should be and manually update the
> last_value column in each affected sequence?

No, but you could use setval().

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problem with sequences on a reload of a pg_dump file

From
Sean Shanny
Date:
Tom,

It  looks like I probably caused this.  :-(  I was not paying attention and rebooted the machine while it was doing the index building. :-(  This is about an 1/2 TB warehouse instance so I am going to  look at the last several thousand lines of the dump file to see if I can replay what I need to correct the situation.  Not a good day.

--sean

Tom Lane wrote:
Sean Shanny <shannyconsulting@earthlink.net> writes:
My problem is that all the sequences were reset to start a 1. :-(   Did
I do something wrong as this has never happened before?
Did the reload actually complete, or did it fail partway through?

Also, can I
simply figure out what the  next value should be and manually update the
last_value column in each affected sequence?
No, but you could use setval().

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your     joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Problem with sequences on a reload of a pg_dump file

From
Yannick LOUVET
Date:
non non c plus possible
va falloir penser à arreter tout de même !!!!