Postmaster won't run as service on Cygwin

From
Andreas
Date:
Hi,

I installed an postmaster for trainig and developement on my home box.
It should run as win 2000 service on cygwin.

Cygwin sits in   I:\cygwin
Data is   I:\db_data\psql_data
Data folder belongs to the user    postgres.benutzer

I (postgres) can start the postmaster on a command line.
I can log in and everything seems to be OK.

Then I wanted to start it as service and ran as administrator on a
cygwin console:
cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D
/cygdrive/i/db_data/pgsql_data -i" --dep ipc-daemon2 --termsig INT
--user postgres --shutdown

postmaster shows up in the service-management-console
When I try to mouse-click it, it shows 2 boxes on the progress bar, then
stalls and after quite a while it throws  Error 1067   Process got
unexpectedly stopped
"net start postmaster" run as administrative user throws the same.
"net start postmaster" run as uster postgres gives System-Error 5
access denied

What now ?

Andreas

Re: Postmaster won't run as service on Cygwin

From
Andreas
Update:

If I let postgresql put it's data where Cygwin proposes
/usr/share/postgresl/data  then the service starts as expected.
Obviously it's either some hardcoded path in the binaries or I have an
permission issue with Windows 2000.

I'd bet on the permissions.
But if the permissions aren't OK, then how can postmaster work when it
is started by hand ?

Where is the difference between user postgres starting postmaster as
service and doing it on the cygwin-console in regards of using a data
path that starts with /cygdrive/...

Help ?

Andreas

Re: Postmaster won't run as service on Cygwin

From
Andreas
Date:
Update 2:

OK, I've got it narrowed down even further.
Don't laugh !

It's the name of the service "postmaster".

This line creates a service that won't start.
$ cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D
/cygdrive/i/db_data/pgsql_data -i" --dep ipc-daemon2 --termsig INT
--user postgres --shutdown

but this line works:
$ cygrunsrv --install postmaster5 --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D
/cygdrive/i/db_data/pgsql_data -i" --dep ipc-daemon2 --termsig INT
--user postgres --shutdown

It's not the data directory.
Right now I have both services installed, but not started.
"postmaster5" can be started but "postmaster" throws error 1067

go figure ...

Andreas

Re: Postmaster won't run as service on Cygwin

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Andreas,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 04:53:07AM +0100, Andreas wrote:
> It's not the data directory.
> Right now I have both services installed, but not started.
> "postmaster5" can be started but "postmaster" throws error 1067

Is there anything interesting in the application event log or the
postmaster log file?

BTW, you will probably get more traction on the pgsql-cygwin@ or cygwin@
mailing lists.

Jason

Re: Postmaster won't run as service on Cygwin

From
Andreas
Date:
Jason,

Jason Tishler wrote:

>> <>Is there anything interesting in the application event log or the
>> postmaster log file?

Thanks.   ;)
Event log ... good point ... err ...   =8-}
There was an entry that said postmaster weren't allowed to access
/var/log/postmaster.log
I deleted this log file and now it works as expected.

Live and learn ...   Andreas

Re: Postmaster won't run as service on Cygwin

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Andreas,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 06:35:40PM +0100, Andreas wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >>Is there anything interesting in the application event log or the
> >>postmaster log file?
>
> Thanks.   ;)
> Event log ... good point ... err ...   =8-}
> There was an entry that said postmaster weren't allowed to access
> /var/log/postmaster.log
> I deleted this log file and now it works as expected.
>
> Live and learn ...   Andreas

No problem -- I'm glad you are up and running.

Jason