Where is initdb?

From
Jerome Lyles
Date:
Hello List,

I have installed Postgresql 7.4 on a Suse 9.0 system using apt.
I cannot do this:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Because there is no "/pgsql/bin/initdb" nor /pgsql/bin/ on my system.
Since apt did not create these directories how can I do it manually?
Thanks,
Jerome

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
Mensaje citado por Jerome Lyles <susemail@hawaii.rr.com>:

> Hello List,
>
> I have installed Postgresql 7.4 on a Suse 9.0 system using apt.
> I cannot do this:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> Because there is no "/pgsql/bin/initdb" nor /pgsql/bin/ on my system.
> Since apt did not create these directories how can I do it manually?

You don't. Normal rpm packagers put binaries in /usr/bin and not in
/usr/local/pgsql/bin.

Try this:

$ initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

Or, just try to start the database with the init script:

# /etc/init.d/postgresql start

If it's like the one I have here on Fedora, it should run initdb automatically if
the Cluster hasn't been built yet.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Jerome Lyles wrote:
> I have installed Postgresql 7.4 on a Suse 9.0 system using apt.
> I cannot do this:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Just run

/etc/init.d/postgresql start

and it will be taken care of.  Read the README files in
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql-* to learn about how the packages
are layed out.

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Jeremiah Jahn
Date:
although it will be taken care of, make sure that initdb sets the local
language to C or your string indexes will not be used.. Unless this has
been fixed and en_US works as as well?

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 13:32, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jerome Lyles wrote:
> > I have installed Postgresql 7.4 on a Suse 9.0 system using apt.
> > I cannot do this:
> >
> > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> Just run
>
> /etc/init.d/postgresql start
>
> and it will be taken care of.  Read the README files in
> /usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql-* to learn about how the packages
> are layed out.

Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah@cs.earlham.edu>

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
Mensaje citado por Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah@cs.earlham.edu>:

> although it will be taken care of, make sure that initdb sets the local
> language to C or your string indexes will not be used.. Unless this has
> been fixed and en_US works as as well?

I think that if you really need very fast indexes, the first thing to do is read
the instalation manual and configure very carefully the postgres acount
(envioronment variables, etc).

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA
Centro de Telemática    |     Administrador
               Universidad Nacional
                    del Litoral

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Jeremiah Jahn
Date:
I think it's fair to say that out of the box and RPM install should not
result in indexes not being used because the LANG is set to something
other than 'C'. I'm all for reading the manual and tuning later, but
that is something that can't be changed without a complete
dump/initdb/restore. It's just always seemed kind of misleading to me..

-jj-

Date:
Jeremiah Jahn wrote:
> although it will be taken care of, make sure that initdb sets the
> local language to C or your string indexes will not be used.. Unless
> this has been fixed and en_US works as as well?

It has been fixed.  Be sure to read the documentation about details.

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
Mensaje citado por Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah@cs.earlham.edu>:

> I think it's fair to say that out of the box and RPM install should not
> result in indexes not being used because the LANG is set to something
> other than 'C'. I'm all for reading the manual and tuning later, but
> that is something that can't be changed without a complete
> dump/initdb/restore. It's just always seemed kind of misleading to me..

The question is which should be the default? For me it's better to have
LANG=es_AR, just because I will have REAL string ordering in a query like this:

SELECT varfield FROM sometable ORDER BY varfield;

That would work great with 'C' locale if varfield didn't contain caracters like á,
é, í, ó, ú, ñ.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA
Centro de Telemática    |     Administrador
               Universidad Nacional
                    del Litoral

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Jerome Lyles
Date:
How would I check this?
Jerome

On Monday 26 January 2004 09:43 am, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:
> although it will be taken care of, make sure that initdb sets the local
> language to C or your string indexes will not be used.. Unless this has
> been fixed and en_US works as as well?
>
> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 13:32, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Jerome Lyles wrote:
> > > I have installed Postgresql 7.4 on a Suse 9.0 system using apt.
> > > I cannot do this:
> > >
> > > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> >
> > Just run
> >
> > /etc/init.d/postgresql start
> >
> > and it will be taken care of.  Read the README files in
> > /usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql-* to learn about how the packages
> > are layed out.

> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Re: Where is initdb?

From
Jerome Lyles
Date:
On Monday 26 January 2004 06:29 pm, Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> How about
>
> locate initdb

It's there now.  It turns out I had to also install postgresql-server.