Calling triggers with arguments

From
Christopher Murtagh
Date:
Greetings,

 I've come across something that either doesn't work spec'd or I'm
missing something (I suspect the latter). I'm trying this:

  CREATE TRIGGER classified_index_trigger
  BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON ads
  FOR EACH ROW
  EXECUTE PROCEDURE htdig_index('classified_en');

and the error message I get is:

  ERROR:  function htdig_index() does not exist

However if I do \df htdig_index I get this:

                       List of functions
 Result data type | Schema |    Name     | Argument data types
------------------+--------+-------------+---------------------
 "trigger"          | public | htdig_index | text

Is there something I'm missing in order to pass an argument in a
trigger?  I've tried double quotes, and two singles as well as no
quotes, and all lead to the same thing.

 Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Christopher Murtagh
Enterprise Systems Administrator

Tel.: (514) 398-3122
Fax:  (514) 398-2017

Re: Calling triggers with arguments

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca> writes:

> Greetings,
>
>  I've come across something that either doesn't work spec'd or I'm
> missing something (I suspect the latter). I'm trying this:

Read the docs again.  Args aren't passed to triggers through the
normal mechanism but via a special variable.

-Doug

Date:
On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 17:42, Doug McNaught wrote:
> Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca> writes:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> >  I've come across something that either doesn't work spec'd or I'm
> > missing something (I suspect the latter). I'm trying this:
>
> Read the docs again.  Args aren't passed to triggers through the
> normal mechanism but via a special variable.

 Thanks for the info. I finally found it (TG_ARGV[]). It certainly isn't
in an obvious place, and not clearly documented, but it was there.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Christopher Murtagh
Enterprise Systems Administrator
ISR / Web Communications Group
McGill University
Montreal, Quebec
Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122
Fax:  (514) 398-2017

Powerbuilder and PostgreSQL information

From
"Jim Wilson"
Date:
There wasn't much help online when I decided this had to be a concept that
would work.  Sybase is not a lot of help on this either.  After sometimes
spending hours staring at traces and explains in order to solve a single
problem (and often using a totally heuristic approach to debugging :-)),  I
finally have real world applications running (very well in fact).

In order to document the details for myself, and to share them with others,
I've setup a small website.  It's a little rough and incomplete so far, but
hopefully it will be useful to someone.

The address is: http://pbpgsql.spiderbark.com

Best regards,

Jim Wilson