int8 version of NUMERIC?

From
David Garamond
Date:
In Interbase and Firebird, NUMERIC is implemented as 64-bit integer.
This limits the range to NUMERIC(18, *) but for many uses that's
adequate. And moreover it's fast and efficient.

Is there a way in PostgreSQL to do something similar, i.e. I want to:

- use 64-bit ints, not string bits or arbitrary precision which is
dubbed as "much slower than ints" in the documentation;

- use decimals, like NUMERIC(18,4);

- store and retrieve decimal numbers pretty much transparently (e.g. I
don't want to remember to insert 123456 for 12.3456 and playing with
multiplying/dividing by 10000);

--
dave

Re: int8 version of NUMERIC?

From
Arjen van der Meijden
Date:
David Garamond wrote:

> In Interbase and Firebird, NUMERIC is implemented as 64-bit integer.
> This limits the range to NUMERIC(18, *) but for many uses that's
> adequate. And moreover it's fast and efficient.
>
> Is there a way in PostgreSQL to do something similar, i.e. I want to:
>
> - use 64-bit ints, not string bits or arbitrary precision which is
> dubbed as "much slower than ints" in the documentation;
They call that a 'bigint', which is in SQL-spec and I noticed it got
inserted in firebird 1.5

> - use decimals, like NUMERIC(18,4);
Well, decimal and numeric are both available in postgres

> - store and retrieve decimal numbers pretty much transparently (e.g. I
> don't want to remember to insert 123456 for 12.3456 and playing with
> multiplying/dividing by 10000);
You can just use 12.3456 in postgres.

Best regards,

Arjen

Re: int8 version of NUMERIC?

From
David Garamond
Date:
Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
>> In Interbase and Firebird, NUMERIC is implemented as 64-bit integer.
>> This limits the range to NUMERIC(18, *) but for many uses that's
>> adequate. And moreover it's fast and efficient.
>>
>> Is there a way in PostgreSQL to do something similar, i.e. I want to:
>>
>> - use 64-bit ints, not string bits or arbitrary precision which is
>> dubbed as "much slower than ints" in the documentation;
>
> They call that a 'bigint', which is in SQL-spec and I noticed it got
> inserted in firebird 1.5

BIGINT has been part of IB/FB since IB version 6.0 (1999-2000).

>> - use decimals, like NUMERIC(18,4);
> Well, decimal and numeric are both available in postgres
>> - store and retrieve decimal numbers pretty much transparently (e.g. I
>> don't want to remember to insert 123456 for 12.3456 and playing with
>> multiplying/dividing by 10000);
> You can just use 12.3456 in postgres.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. What I meant to say was, IB/FB uses
BIGINT internally for NUMERIC & DECIMAL. Thus, they don't actually have
arbitrary precision, they can only support NUMERIC(18, X) or DECIMAL(18,
x). This is probably adequate for most uses. Plus they are fast, since
they use native integers just like BIGINT.

My concern is that, the PostgreSQL docs says NUMERIC & DECIMAL is very
slow compared to INT/BIGINT. Should I worry about that?

--
dave

Re: int8 version of NUMERIC?

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:53:09 +0700,
  David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> wrote:

> My concern is that, the PostgreSQL docs says NUMERIC & DECIMAL is very
> slow compared to INT/BIGINT. Should I worry about that?

Most likely disk IO not cpu will be your bottleneck and the extra overhead
of numeric relative to int or float won't be a big deal.

Numeric is stored usingh based 10000 (at least in 7.4.x) and hence isn't
that horrible performance-wise (as compared to say storing it as an ascii
string).

Re: int8 version of NUMERIC?

From
Adam Witney
Date:
On 12/1/04 3:28 pm, "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:53:09 +0700,
> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> wrote:
>>
>> My concern is that, the PostgreSQL docs says NUMERIC & DECIMAL is very
>> slow compared to INT/BIGINT. Should I worry about that?
>
> Most likely disk IO not cpu will be your bottleneck and the extra overhead
> of numeric relative to int or float won't be a big deal.
>
> Numeric is stored usingh based 10000 (at least in 7.4.x) and hence isn't
> that horrible performance-wise (as compared to say storing it as an ascii
> string).

Out of interest, where does the performance of storing at as TEXT suffer
here... Reading or writing or both?

Thanks

Adam

believed to be clean.

Re: int8 version of NUMERIC?

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Adam Witney wrote:

> On 12/1/04 3:28 pm, "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 21:53:09 +0700,
>> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My concern is that, the PostgreSQL docs says NUMERIC & DECIMAL is very
>>> slow compared to INT/BIGINT. Should I worry about that?
>>
>> Most likely disk IO not cpu will be your bottleneck and the extra overhead
>> of numeric relative to int or float won't be a big deal.
>>
>> Numeric is stored usingh based 10000 (at least in 7.4.x) and hence isn't
>> that horrible performance-wise (as compared to say storing it as an ascii
>> string).
>
> Out of interest, where does the performance of storing at as TEXT suffer
> here... Reading or writing or both?

It starts suffering when you start "doing" something with the data, like
asking for the sum() or the avg(). But exactly at that time arbitrary
precision is IMHO needed, because we don't give the closest possible
approximation like MySQL, we give you a result.

Jan