Slow Performance with 7.4.1

From
Alex
Date:
Hi,
I just installed pg 7.4.1 on a new system P4, 3.2Gh HT, 1GB Mem, RH9 and
discovered that some of the processes have become extremely slow. Mainly
I am talking about a SELECT COUNT(*) or VACUUM.

Before running the same database on a P4. 2Ghz 412MB mem, I got the job
done in some cases half the time.

The weird thing however is, that normal inserts seem to be much faster
on the new system and I am wondering if it is Postgres or HW related.

Does anyone has an advise ?

Thanks
Alex

Re: Slow Performance with 7.4.1

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Alex <alex@meerkatsoft.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I just installed pg 7.4.1 on a new system P4, 3.2Gh HT, 1GB Mem, RH9
> and discovered that some of the processes have become extremely
> slow. Mainly I am talking about a SELECT COUNT(*) or VACUUM.
>
> Before running the same database on a P4. 2Ghz 412MB mem, I got the
> job done in some cases half the time.
>
> The weird thing however is, that normal inserts seem to be much faster
> on the new system and I am wondering if it is Postgres or HW related.
>
> Does anyone has an advise ?

What kind of disk hardware is on the two systems?

-Doug

Re: Slow Performance with 7.4.1

From
Alex
Date:
The old system has a 80GB, 5200rpm ATA , the new system a 120GB, 7200rpm
ATA. The new system should at least not be slower. Also, on the new
system I have a separate partition for the database.

If I run a Vacuum or a SELECT COUNT(*) on a larger table (2-6 million
records) the systems responds very slow, the screen almost freezes.

Thanks
Alex

Date:
Alex <alex@meerkatsoft.com> writes:

> The old system has a 80GB, 5200rpm ATA , the new system a 120GB,
> 7200rpm ATA. The new system should at least not be slower. Also, on
> the new system I have a separate partition for the database.
>
> If I run a Vacuum or a SELECT COUNT(*) on a larger table (2-6 million
> records) the systems responds very slow, the screen almost freezes.

Sounds like you may not have DMA enabled on the newer machine, or
there is some other kernel problem that slows the disk down.  You
might try running Bonnie or a similar disk benchmark to make sure you
are getting the right disk performance.

-Doug

unsubscribe

From
"Jiri D. Hoogeveen"
Date:
unsubscribe

Re: Slow Performance with 7.4.1

From
Alex
Date:
Yup, DMA is not enabled, probably that is the problem. Tried to enable
it but get  an error HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted.

Thanks for the hint.
Alex

Doug McNaught wrote:

>Alex <alex@meerkatsoft.com> writes:
>

>>The old system has a 80GB, 5200rpm ATA , the new system a 120GB,
>>7200rpm ATA. The new system should at least not be slower. Also, on
>>the new system I have a separate partition for the database.
>>
>>If I run a Vacuum or a SELECT COUNT(*) on a larger table (2-6 million
>>records) the systems responds very slow, the screen almost freezes.
>>

>Sounds like you may not have DMA enabled on the newer machine, or
>there is some other kernel problem that slows the disk down.  You
>might try running Bonnie or a similar disk benchmark to make sure you
>are getting the right disk performance.
>
>-Doug

Re: Slow Performance with 7.4.1

From
Thomas Beutin
Date:
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:50:05AM +0900, Alex wrote:
> Yup, DMA is not enabled, probably that is the problem. Tried to enable
> it but get  an error HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted.
probably You have no support for Your boards chipset enabled. You
can do this ether by loading the proper module or compiling this
into Your kernel.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
-tb
--
Thomas Beutin                             tb@laokoon.IN-Berlin.DE
Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent live down in Redmond.