UTF support in WIN32 native and Lower/Upper in 7.5 release

From
Marek Lewczuk
Date:
I'm looking at "TODO list for PostgreSQL" and "Fix upper()/lower() to
work for multibyte encodings" has no dash (-) -- so it won't be made in
7.5 ?

Another question is about WIN32 native release - currently, all win
users cannot set locales, becouse Cygwin does not support it -- I hope
that it will be solved in native release, so UTF-8 should work as well ??

Just wanted to know how to plan my further work. Thanks.

ML

Re: UTF support in WIN32 native and Lower/Upper in 7.5

From
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Marek Lewczuk wrote:

> I'm looking at "TODO list for PostgreSQL" and "Fix upper()/lower() to
> work for multibyte encodings" has no dash (-) -- so it won't be made in
> 7.5 ?

An item in the TODO list only gets a dash when it is complete.  The fact
that it does not have a dash does not mean that there is no hope for the
7.5 release, as Peter E is working on this particular item.

> Another question is about WIN32 native release - currently, all win
> users cannot set locales, becouse Cygwin does not support it -- I hope
> that it will be solved in native release, so UTF-8 should work as well ??

You may be confusing locale with encoding here.  UTF-8 is an encoding not
a locale.

Kris Jurka

Date:
Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Marek Lewczuk wrote:
>

>>Another question is about WIN32 native release - currently, all win
>>users cannot set locales, becouse Cygwin does not support it -- I hope
>>that it will be solved in native release, so UTF-8 should work as well ??
>>

> You may be confusing locale with encoding here.  UTF-8 is an encoding not
> a locale.

Well, yes. But locales are needed if we want to sort query results with
local signs ?

> Kris Jurka

Re: UTF support in WIN32 native and Lower/Upper in 7.5 release

Date:
Marek Lewczuk wrote:
> I'm looking at "TODO list for PostgreSQL" and "Fix upper()/lower() to
> work for multibyte encodings" has no dash (-) -- so it won't be made in
> 7.5 ?
>
> Another question is about WIN32 native release - currently, all win
> users cannot set locales, becouse Cygwin does not support it -- I hope
> that it will be solved in native release, so UTF-8 should work as well ??
>
> Just wanted to know how to plan my further work. Thanks.

Not sure.  CC'ing the win32 list.

Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] UTF support in WIN32 native and Lower/Upper in 7.5 release

From
"Andrew Dunstan"
Date:
Bruce Momjian said:
> Marek Lewczuk wrote:
>> I'm looking at "TODO list for PostgreSQL" and "Fix upper()/lower() to
>> work for multibyte encodings" has no dash (-) -- so it won't be made
>> in  7.5 ?
>>
>> Another question is about WIN32 native release - currently, all win
>> users cannot set locales, becouse Cygwin does not support it -- I hope
>>  that it will be solved in native release, so UTF-8 should work as
>> well ??
>>
>> Just wanted to know how to plan my further work. Thanks.
>
> Not sure.  CC'ing the win32 list.

No dash against an item doesn't mean it won't be done for 7.5, just that
nobody apparently has yet. If you want to do it then go for it ;-)

I believe he native W32 libraries support locales except for one setting -
I forget which (possibly LC_MESSAGES?).

cheers

andrew