Is it not datestyle that determines date format output?

From
"Netto"
Date:
The way PostgreSQL deals with the date format is confusing me...
I need PostgreSQL to return dates from selects at this format: "dd/mm/yyyy",
but it insists in returning it as "yyyy-mm-dd". I say "insists" cause I had
already set datestyle to "European" (in postgresql.conf) which represents
the format I want...  I checked it executing: "SHOW DATESTYLE" and I got:
DateStyle
-----------
ISO with European conventions

When inserting dates, PostgreSQL understands very well my date format like
"dd/mm/yyyy", but it is also important to get the date like that.
I think it's possible, but I had tried all the tricks I knew or I could
retrieve from manual...

Any ideas?
Thank you all.
Netto

Re: Is it not datestyle that determines date format output?

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
Check the datestyle settings in the manual. Also look at to_char, with that
you can format the data any way you like,

Maybe: set DateStyle = sql,european;

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 03:35:39PM -0200, Netto wrote:
> The way PostgreSQL deals with the date format is confusing me...
> I need PostgreSQL to return dates from selects at this format: "dd/mm/yyyy",
> but it insists in returning it as "yyyy-mm-dd". I say "insists" cause I had
> already set datestyle to "European" (in postgresql.conf) which represents
> the format I want...  I checked it executing: "SHOW DATESTYLE" and I got:
> DateStyle
> -----------
> ISO with European conventions
>
> When inserting dates, PostgreSQL understands very well my date format like
> "dd/mm/yyyy", but it is also important to get the date like that.
> I think it's possible, but I had tried all the tricks I knew or I could
> retrieve from manual...
>
> Any ideas?
> Thank you all.
> Netto

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

> (... have gone from d-i being barely usable even by its developers
> anywhere, to being about 20% done. Sweet. And the last 80% usually takes
> 20% of the time, too, right?) -- Anthony Towns, debian-devel-announce

Attachment

Re: Is it not datestyle that determines date format output?

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Netto wrote:

> The way PostgreSQL deals with the date format is confusing me...
> I need PostgreSQL to return dates from selects at this format: "dd/mm/yyyy",
> but it insists in returning it as "yyyy-mm-dd". I say "insists" cause I had
> already set datestyle to "European" (in postgresql.conf) which represents
> the format I want...  I checked it executing: "SHOW DATESTYLE" and I got:
> DateStyle
> -----------
> ISO with European conventions
>
> When inserting dates, PostgreSQL understands very well my date format like
> "dd/mm/yyyy", but it is also important to get the date like that.
> I think it's possible, but I had tried all the tricks I knew or I could
> retrieve from manual...

This may be a dup (it arrived in my inbox on 11 Dec 2003), but I'll reply
just in case.

What flavor of Postgresql are you running?  I'll assume 7.4.

I'm assuming you've read this section of the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-datetime.html

Have you tried entering:

set DateStyle='SQL, dmy';

ISO style makes it the yyyy-mm-dd format, SQL makes it the other.

Date:
""scott.marlowe"" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> escreveu na mensagem

>This may be a dup (it arrived in my inbox on 11 Dec 2003), but I'll reply
>just in case.
>What flavor of Postgresql are you running?  I'll assume 7.4.
>I'm assuming you've read this section of the docs:
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-datetime.html
>Have you tried entering:
>set DateStyle='SQL, dmy';
>ISO style makes it the yyyy-mm-dd format, SQL makes it the other.

Hey Scott,... thank you for the tips,... I forgot mentioning the PostgreSQL
version I'm using... its 7.3.2. I read the documentation section you
suggested, and it really solves my problem, since I upgrade postgresql to
7.4.

Netto