How to obtain the real problem that avoids postgresql service starting?

From
"Netto"
Date:
Hi all,...
I'd like to know where can I get information about what is happening to
postgresql so it can't be started...

all I get is:
Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]

Is there any log file, or a way to start the database with a kind of -v
(verbose) option??
Or maybe any configuration parameter to modify on postgresql files,...

Any suggestion will help a lot!

That's it...
Thanks!
Netto

> Hi all,...
> I'd like to know where can I get information about what is happening to
> postgresql so it can't be started...

I wasn't able to find a file as I would like, but I when I tried to start
postmaster straightly, I got a message with the real problem,... you can try
that if need... :)

Netto

Re: How to obtain the real problem that avoids postgresql

From
"Craig O'Shannessy"
Date:
I think this is a pretty serious shortcoming of the standard
/etc/init.d/postgresql script, it sends all output (std. out AND error to
/dev/null).

You should have a line something like this

                su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o '-p ${PGPORT}'
start > /var/log/postgres.log 2>&1" < /dev/null

You can see where I have replaced the "> /dev/null" with "> /var/log/postgres.log"

You would want to do this first, before attempting to start postgres, so

[root@somebox /#] vi /etc/init.d/postgresql
[root@somebox /#] touch /var/log/postgres.log
[root@somebox /#] chown postgres /var/log/postgres.log
[root@somebox /#] /etc/init.d/postgresql start

Now, when it fails, you will get decent logging in /var/log/postgres.log

Hope this helps.

Craig

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Netto wrote:

> Hi all,...
> I'd like to know where can I get information about what is happening to
> postgresql so it can't be started...
>
> all I get is:
> Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]
>
> Is there any log file, or a way to start the database with a kind of -v
> (verbose) option??
> Or maybe any configuration parameter to modify on postgresql files,...
>
> Any suggestion will help a lot!
>
> That's it...
> Thanks!
> Netto

Re: How to obtain the real problem that avoids postgresql

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
However, if you then rotate the logs, you end up with space that won't be
reclaimed until the postmaster is restarted. I guess this is why people use
syslog.

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 03:12:29PM +1100, Craig O'Shannessy wrote:
> I think this is a pretty serious shortcoming of the standard
> /etc/init.d/postgresql script, it sends all output (std. out AND error to
> /dev/null).
>
> You should have a line something like this
>
>                 su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o '-p ${PGPORT}'
start > /var/log/postgres.log 2>&1" < /dev/null

> You can see where I have replaced the "> /dev/null" with "> /var/log/postgres.log"
>
> You would want to do this first, before attempting to start postgres, so
>

> [root@somebox /#] vi /etc/init.d/postgresql
> [root@somebox /#] touch /var/log/postgres.log
> [root@somebox /#] chown postgres /var/log/postgres.log
> [root@somebox /#] /etc/init.d/postgresql start
>
> Now, when it fails, you will get decent logging in /var/log/postgres.log
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Craig
>

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Netto wrote:
>
> > Hi all,...
> > I'd like to know where can I get information about what is happening to
> > postgresql so it can't be started...
> >
> > all I get is:
> > Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]
> >
> > Is there any log file, or a way to start the database with a kind of -v
> > (verbose) option??
> > Or maybe any configuration parameter to modify on postgresql files,...
> >
> > Any suggestion will help a lot!
> >
> > That's it...
> > Thanks!
> > Netto

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

Attachment